Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Start-up Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 davlin75

davlin75

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

I pulled the memory cards out of my computer to go & buy more memory. The store did not have what I needed so I brought the memory I had back home & reinstalled it in my computer. Hooked everything back up & now my monitor won't come on. It trys to come on but goes right back off. Do I not have the memory cards in properly? What is wrong? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:27 AM

figure you're talking about RAM. Its set up to only go in one way, if its fully seated you shouldn't see any copper, and the clips on the sides should slide into the slots on the ends of the RAM.
is there any beeping when you turn the computer on? are the fans and harddrive spinning?

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

Do you have a Graphics card or are you using on board?

If you have a graphics card installed make sure this is seated correctly aswell and you have knocked it, double check all cables aswell whilst your on.

"Beep" codes will help identify any hardware issues
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

Just a note about post codes, most motherboard incorporate beep codes, but companies like Biostar use four LED on the motherboard for these signals.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 davlin75

davlin75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:43 PM

figure you're talking about RAM. Its set up to only go in one way, if its fully seated you shouldn't see any copper, and the clips on the sides should slide into the slots on the ends of the RAM.
is there any beeping when you turn the computer on? are the fans and harddrive spinning?

It appears that the clips are in the slots right - when I turn the computer on it beeps & the monitor will click - the on light on the front comes on green & then shuts back off & the amber light comes back on. The computer seems OK but the monitor won't come on & stay on. I have changed electrical cords & I have also changed monitors - I hooked up another spare monitor that I have to make sure that the monitor had not gone out & it did the same thing. Maybe I just don't have the clips in just right.

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:48 AM

I would try playing musical chairs with your RAM first. try booting with stick one in slot one, then stick one in slot 2, stick 2 in slot 1 then stick 2 in slot 2. solo each time if any of those combos boot then problem is either seating or bad stick/slot. But you say its booting except for the monitor so Emu could very well be right take a look at the plug on your monitor and video card see if you broke a pin or maybe even something stuck in the card's plug in and check seating on the video too like he said.

#7 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:01 AM

Did you use anti-static equipment to remove the RAM from your computer? And did you put the RAM in an anti-static bag?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users