Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Restarts Over And Over

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chambz

Chambz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hey, I have seen multiple threads about this, but I've not gotten any of the things people have said there to work, so I figured I might as well start over.

My problem is just like in the title: explorer.exe restarts over and over again. I don't have any odd processes running, I've used enditall and watched task manager. Nothing seems to be opening and closing along with explorer.exe except for imapi.exe and just now I am seeing a _start.exe that I am currently investigating. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

Can you get into Safe Mode?

If so, try renaming this imapi.exe file to something else and see if that helps.

While in Safe Mode you could also run a couple of scans:

SUPERAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Chambz

Chambz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

Well, I CAN get into safemode, but it doesn't really help, since explorer.exe STILL closes and restarts even in safe mode.

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:46 PM

Hi,
In Event Viewer see if there are any errors when having this promblem.
Go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
If you find an error that occurred right-click on it and select properties, Copy and paste the information and post it back.
I would run some scans like what Budapest said.
What Anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewalls etc. programs do you have installed?

With Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 19 May 2008 - 08:47 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 yazour

yazour

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 01:39 PM

I was having the same problem with my boss's home computer.

I did a couple of different virus scans and spyware scans each found something different.

I tried fixing the windows installation from the CD.

I ended up throwing the hard drive into another machine and backing up his personal files and then reformatting his hard drive and reinstalling windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users