Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Charley30

Charley30

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

Downloaded numerous music files to Windows Media. Problem How do I back up all of these files.

Tried Microsoft help etc. I periodically have to reinstall windows. My business is dealing with international clients and get some very nasty virus which even system restore etc. will not delete. So how do I back up my windows music for example to an Western 2gb external hard drive? I cannot use cd's as over 500 songs. Many of the songs did not transfer to my computer as downloaded from original cd.

Sorry I realize this must be very basic but have tried to read everything and no success. Thanks if anyone can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewp730

andrewp730

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:58 PM

Well find out where the audio file is located and copy it over to another drive.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:29 AM

Hi Charlie.
Click on MY MUSIC and all your folders should be there. Right click on each folder and select COPY. (That folder will now be in your cursor).
Go down the directory tree in the left pane till you find your external drive, Right Click on that and select PASTE. Done. (If you don't have a tree in the left pane, find the FOLDERS box above the open window and click that).

Any problem just post back.
Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for the response. The problem is all of my songs for some reason are not in My Music folder. I have tried to place all of them in My Play lists but again do not all show. I tried Programs, Windows Media Player, and downloaded all but more than half would not play in second computer. The other problem is on some of the songs when I move my hard drive to another computer, some of the songs will not play although they play on my original computer.

Have you ever tried to download all to a Mp3 player and then upload to another computer?

I have windows xp home and Dell Vostro 400 computer and trying to download to laptop Inspiron 6000. I have an external hard drive but want to play my music on my laptop when I travel.

Have a great day.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:56 AM

Hello,

Have you done a windows search for a name of one of the files or better yet, search for .mp3 If I remember correctly sometimes music is stored into documents and settings for some unknown reason.

About playing the media on another system, find one of the files that you are trying to play on another computer and right click on it, select properties, does it say under the Content (i think) tab that the file is protected? if this is the case, the files are DRM protected and can only be played on the original machine.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 Charley30

Charley30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Allen will try all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic