Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bad Program

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:16 PM

Hey there, I've got a piece of coursework to do and I need to write about a piece of software that is badly designed, not user friendly, Etc, and I haven't a clue what to use, all the programs I use seem fine to me!

Any ideas? I don't want you to do it btw, just, tell me the name of the program and I'll try it out!

Thanks!

Dan Brownlow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:40 AM

What this really comes down to is evaluating a program, any program, for things that you think can be done better. You really have no way to evaluate the code, unless you know how to code, and are familiar with the language that a particular program was written in. Even then, you would actually need access to the source code to evaluate it. You can't say "Program X sucks because it runs really slow on my computer", because you have no way of knowing that it is a hardware problem, or a software problem. I have seen way to many people pass judgment on an application that was never meant to run on their hardware configuration (for example, running Vista on a system with only 128MB of Ram).

Since it is likely that you will not be able to evaluate the source, your only have a few other alternatives, one being the user interface. Are components located where you think they should be? Do the controls work like one thinks they should? Can one even find the controls they need? Are there problems with the color scheme? Would a visually impaired person be able to use it?

The only other two things you can really evaluate is the installation process (is the application easy to install, are there enough prompts), and the documentation (is it complete and clear).

All applications have ways that they can be improved; that does not make them bad. Take a look at applications that you use daily. Are there things about one of them that you think could be done better? Write why you think they could be done better.

There are tons of places to find programs to review. A search for 'freeware' should give you all the possible options you need. Sourceforge is an excellent place to get free software also.

In the spirit of keeping this thread educational, I am going to insist that you look for your own application to review, otherwise you will only be regurgitating what others have already said. Since most people are unable to make quantifiable arguments about the qualities of software, I am not going to allow them here. What you are really doing is a software review, which can be highly subjective. You want to use your opinions, because those are what you are going to have to support.

#3 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:28 AM

Hey there, I don't think I explained myself well enough, as the admin pulled the message.

What I meant by "bad program" was a program with a bad user interface, I wasn't talking about the code at all. I'm doing a module on HCI and I need to find a piece of software that really isn't well designed, not intuative, too much information on screen, Etc.

I was simply asking for a piece of software that was let down because of the UI, Etc.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dan Brownlow.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

The idea of your assignment is to take what you have learned in the classroom and apply it to an interface, any interface. The lovely thing about an assignment like this is that there is no wrong answer, as long as you objectively apply the principles you have learned. Pick any application. I can tell you 15 or 20 different applications that I think have poor interfaces, and you may not agree. You may find an application that you hate, and I may think is fine.

You were perfectly clear. I have taken Human factors, and I have done the same assignment that you are doing. What I am trying to prevent is someone coming along that has no clue what you are trying to accomplish, and biasing your opinion. We are also concerned that some malicious person may post a link to an 'application' that is actually malware, and infect some of our members.

This is a gravy assignment as long as you can put together a well thought out argument. The actual application that you choose is irrelevant. I am assuming that your assignment also allows one to critique websites also; if that is the case, any random website will do. :thumbsup:

#5 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

Yea' I understand, didn't mean you any disrespect or anything. I see your points. Thanks for the information,

Have a good day =]

Dan Brownlow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users