Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7 Failing On Install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

OK for over a year now Ive been trying to fix this problem on my own and I can seem to get it fixed. My brother doesnt know proper computer maintanance so I always have to clean up the aftermath when I return from college. For over a year Ive been trying to update the Internet Explorer to version 7. Every time it tells me that the install was unsuccessful and it has to restart to undo what was done. I tried going to properties of the IE installer and unblocking it. I tried installing under safe mode with networking. I had turned off the spyware and virus scan before doing any of the installations. I ran the safety scan at safety.live.com, AVG scanned, and superantispyware scanned before installing to make sure it wasnt virus/spyware/malware related. Im running Windows XP Home Edition and I have the windows CD if i need to repair something. I cant reformat the computer for numerous reasons and I dont want to use Firefox so does anyone have any idea what I can do that hasnt been done already. Thanks for any help in advance and if this is on another post, I couldnt find it anywhere and Im sorry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

You can provide us with error messages...that give clues to what is happening with the system :thumbsup:.

Failure to install IE7 occurs for a reason...thus far, you haven't provided any clues as to why the install might fail or what symptoms of system problems you have noticed.

Since you have not installed IE7, I must ask if XP is current for critical updates?

What other programs exhibit problems?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

Well Louis, No other programs seem to have a problem. I found a website at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378 describing how to reinstall IE using the Ie.inf file ( I figured it would resolve everything with a clean install) and all that happens is a small box pops up saying "Installation Failed". I tried installing IE7 again from the installer and it looks like everything is fine and then it says "Finalizing Installation" and then I get the Unsuccessful Install error message (see attachment for image of error message). I have all the most recent updates including SP3. This is the only update I dont have. I went to windowsupdate.microsoft.com to confirm. Any ideas?

Attached Files

• Attached File  ugh.JPG   30.68KB   20 downloads

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

Take a look: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Internet-Ex...ils-46325.shtml

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 May 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#5 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

Yea i saw that website already and tried everything on it and none of the advice on it seems to work for me. I just keep getting the same error. Ugh! Any other suggestions?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

Hmmm...have you attempted a repair install of XP?

A repair install will leave programs and data files intact...and will remove all XP system files and replace with clean ones. All critical updates installed since issuance of the CD used...will be wiped out and have to be reinstalled via WinUpdate.

The smart thing to do (if your CD does not have SP2 included) is to slipstream a new XP CD which includes SP2 (and SP3 if you have that currently installed)...before attempting the repair.

Perform a Repair Installation - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users