Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup processes problem! help me

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 noeyesareopen

noeyesareopen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

i have a serious problem, my computer will run fine for about 30 min, then it starts freezing up and it wont do anything. if i check the running processes it says that a process called svchost.exe is taking 99% of cpu. there is two of those listed. it wont let me end them either. sometimes it will have an error and it will shut them off, after that my computer works fine. please help me!! i have no idea what to do!! ive ran adaware, pc bug doctor, and my virus scanner and they come up with nothing, what should i do?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:10 PM

There are several things associated with svchost.exe.
Most of them, are bad.
Go here and type svchost.exe into the search box.
Startup Database

What antivirus are you using?
Have you updated, and ran it, in safe mode?

Run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Are you using these basic security programs?

aČ free - a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware - A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D - Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If that doesn't help, then:

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a couple of days to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds.
This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:18 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks TQ,just downloaded Spyware Gaurd from site.Won't install
yet as running all others you mentioned& don't want any conflicts!Except Spy-
Blaster from same site,might think about it too later.Got a programme called
CW Shredder too,A2,Spysweeper,Spybot-they all complement each other & NO
spyware.WinPatrol (Scotty) is another first line defense& freeware.Excellent
watchdog!

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:45 PM

I run all of the programs listed, with no conflicts.
If you use IE, you should use Spyware Blaster.
It's similar to Spybot's "Immunize" feature, but offers better protection.

Also, I suggest you read this Tutorial:
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:47 AM

i have a serious problem, my computer will run fine for about 30 min, then it starts freezing up and it wont do anything. if i check the running processes it says that a process called svchost.exe is taking 99% of cpu. there is two of those listed. it wont let me end them either. sometimes it will have an error and it will shut them off, after that my computer works fine.

svchost.exe is the Windows program that manages services. Services are run in groups, so there are usually several instances of them running at the same time.

svchost.exe is not your problem. However, it's possible that you have a number of services running that you do not need. If you disable some of them, things might improve. Unless you are on a domain network or keeping track of files on remote computers, it's usually a good idea to disable such services as IPSEC, Distributed Link Tracking Client, and Error Reporting. I usually disable Clipbook since few people use it. It's used to view contents of the clipboard. (IOW - if you "copy" and "paste" something, what you're pasting is stored temporarily in the clipboard.)

Remote Registry Service can be disabled, unless you want remote users to be able to make registry changes. Telnet can be disabled if you don't want remote users to log on to your PC and run programs.

Of course, you can break your computer by disabling the wrong service, so be careful.

From my unreliable memory, you can disable services by going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, or by clicking on Start -> Run and typing services.msc in the box. Then find the service you wish to disable and right-click and choose properties then under "startup type" choose disabled.

If you haven't got Service Pack 2, make sure that Messenger is disabled. This is Windows Messenger and not MSN or Yahoo, and can be exploited by advertising spammers.

Malware can also be installed as a service, and may be part of your problem.

You may want to install HijackThis and place a log in the Hijack Log forum on this site. Please follow directions for installing HijackThis! and make sure you extract it to its own folder and not in a temporary folder or to your desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users