Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing A New Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kevin500

kevin500

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

ok i recently got a new hard drive Hitachi 250 gb sata because my old one stoped working.
now when i try to install windows it said http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/upload...7/09/image3.png
(but i use windows xp home edition disk)and when i try to install the motherboard cd it said "No HPA enabled drive"
this is site has my old hard drive on the right and my new one of the left(not the same model but the same connecters)
http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/MaxtorUL...quid3D-7741.jpg

My old hard drive had 3 connecters but my new one has only 2 have i got the wrong one?

if not how do i get the new hard drive working?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by kevin500, 19 May 2008 - 01:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

Check all the connections are tight, reseat of neccessary, does the drive spin up ok?

Edited by Axegrinder, 19 May 2008 - 12:26 PM.

#3 kevin500

kevin500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:07 PM

Check all the connections are tight, reseat of neccessary, does the drive spin up ok?

Wires are in fine and are in properly. i can hear the hard drive when i start up the pc.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

Possibly a damaged SATA driver.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 kevin500

kevin500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

Could it be due to any other hardware problems cause my last hd wouldnt get past windows home edition just kept rebooting itself. Hence the reason i brought a new hard drive.

Edited by kevin500, 19 May 2008 - 04:55 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:25 AM

What is the make and model of the sata hdd?

Did it come with a CD to format, partition, and add the drivers for the drive?

Does you BIOS require that you enable a sata drive?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 AndrewFrost

AndrewFrost

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

Could it be due to any other hardware problems cause my last hd wouldnt get past windows home edition just kept rebooting itself. Hence the reason i brought a new hard drive.

I had this problem with a computer recently, where it would restart right after showing the windows logo screen. I did a repair (not system recovery) on the installation using my XP cd and it fixed the problem. Maybe you could give this a try with your old hard drive.

#8 kevin500

kevin500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

Thanks guys i think its down to my motherboard not reconizeing this sata drive maybe its 4-5 years old?
thanks for help tho my old pc is fixed now also =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users