Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Questions About My Newly Installed Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bonez07

bonez07

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

My brother just brought this Hard drive home from his friend (http://www.fixya.com/Brands/Images/Q/Quant...0/20130207.JPG). We installed it fine but we had/have 2 problems.

1) There is space for the hard drive but the 2 wires that go into the back (IDE cable and the power cable) both aren't long enough so we just left the hard drive sitting on the bottom of the inside of the CPU. Is that safe/ok?

2) Every time I put files onto the hard drive it doesn't actually MOVE the files on to the hard drive. It copies them. This is my slave hard drive not my master. I want it so that the files actually move from one hard drive to another, not get copied because when they get copied I have to manually delete the file from the original location.

Edited by bonez07, 19 May 2008 - 11:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axegrinder

Axegrinder

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

1. Having the hard drive unsecured in the bottom of the case isnt a great idea becuase the drive can vibrate, reducing its lifespan.

2. If your dragging and dropping files over it will copy them, in Windows explorer just click "move files".

HTH

#3 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

1. make a little cardboard box, or a metal self or something that will fit inside, and mount the hard drive...(I have one made of regular thickness cardboard and it works great)(DO NOT use Styrofoam or anything that produces static...)

2. Cut and paste, not copy

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

For several years now...I run several hard drives outside/inside the case (no cover) of my two desktops.

I stand all of them on the smallest edge, with the connecting cables at the top.

I've not noticed any peculiar problems or had any issues with any of 8 or so hard drives since I began doing this (because I like to move drives, transfer files by some technique other than my home network, restructure system layouts, etc.).

I never would place them flat on any surface, since that probably would lead to overheating and drive failure, IMO.

Louis

#5 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

1. make a little cardboard box, or a metal self or something that will fit inside, and mount the hard drive...(I have one made of regular thickness cardboard and it works great)(DO NOT use Styrofoam or anything that produces static...)

2. Cut and paste, not copy

Thank you all. Could I get a picture of one you created? I don't have a lot of space within my tower also. But I'll try my best.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

I doubt that the vibrations are going to produce any problems, but there are two problems that immediately come to mind with setting it on the bottom of the case. First is the fact that there is an exposed pc board that could short out if it made contact with the case, second, without it having some elevation off the surface of the case there is a lack of circulation, heat is a much more important factor, heat will do more harm than anything else in normal use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

Yeah I'm gonna find a solution for this this weekend.

#8 mckooter

mckooter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:13 PM

another tip on your question #2, if your like me and prefer drag and drop, hold down shift when doing so and they will be moved not copied, (you will notice the + sign on the semi transparent icon that your dragging dissapears, this indicates a move)

just for knowledge and future reference the keys to control what happens when you drag and drop are:
ctrl = copy
shift = move
shift + ctrl = create shortcut

You can just call me Chris

I found out I was Marilyn Monroe in a previous life

#9 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

Thanks on the tip, will be using that from now on. I'm going to be making the cardboard box holder today as well.

#10 bonez07

bonez07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

Here's the pictures of the front and back (The reason why I cut out rectangles from front and back was because the hard drive said "WARNING: DO NOT COVER BREATING HOLE" and I didn't know where that was):

Front:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/so...ck/IMG00072.jpg

Back:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/so...ck/IMG00074.jpg

CPU
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w227/so...ck/IMG00071.jpg

Edited by bonez07, 07 June 2008 - 05:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users