Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Abnormal Restart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:38 AM

I am in my son's home, abroad, then I was suposed to be able to check my mails and so. He recently formatted his PC and installed XP Pro, but suddenly started to restart not being possible to make anything, with different announcements, as a lack of a system file; then, that "the 80 cable is missing", etc. The technician postulates a hardware failure. My son installed CCleaner that is very good for me. The PC is a Celleron 2.5; RAM1.5Gyga; 160 Gy in the hard dissk. As we are, currently, in a country where the help is not very much reliable (I am so sorry to say this, but I will not name it), I offered him to ask BC. If this is not allowed, no problem. My son speaks no English but German. Many thanks and the best regards to everybody.

Edited by merellogalasso, 19 May 2008 - 11:39 AM.

"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

Could you please post the exact error messages that you are receiving? I can read a small bit of German, and others here are more expert at it than I am.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

Many thanks for the disposition. I prefer to talk in the place of my son. He is not going to sit down writing anything because he is too busy (I'm visiting them). As the PC didn't start anymore, the exact messages are already gone from our memmories, but the first was straightly saying that a system file had disapperaed. After that, and now on a black screen, appeared "cable 80 is missing"; after that started to appear the typical black screen asking for the type of starting. In only one opportunity, when I let the XP start at the end of the counting seconds not using "enter", the system maintained functioning for a couple of minutues until I tried to restore the system when, inmediately, restarted and failed again. Many thanks.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:55 AM

While I'm not sure, there seems to be a problem with your hard drive.
I would first check all the connections to it and then would also try another cable (the flat one that's connected to the hard drive.
You can also download and run a diagnostic test from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free) and see what that has to say.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

Thanks a lot. The obvious big trouble is that if the PC is not running I cannot run anything. In any case your kind advice is very welcome and we will tell the technician that is reviewing the unit, to proceed in that way. Kind regards.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

The diagnostic test can be placed on a bootable CD and you can boot to it without having to use Windows. Since you're able to get an error message about the cable, you may be able to boot to the diagnostic test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users