Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo Infection I Believe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickH

PatrickH

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hello there BleepingComputer Staff,

I have tried everything in my arnsenal to get rid of this infection on my friends computer to no avail. So I'm calling in for help on this one.
Just like to thank you in advance. Let me know when your ready to see the logs

-PH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:15 PM

Welcome to BC PatrickH.

Please print out and follow the instructions for using "Vundofix". -- If using Windows Vista be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the 'Fix Vundo' button.
  • After running VundoFix, a text file named vundofix.txt will automatically be saved to the root of the system drive, usually at C:\vundofix.txt.
  • Please copy & paste the contents of that text file into your next reply.
-- If you receive this error: "Run-time error '339': Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid", a new copy and instructions on where to put it can be found here.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 PatrickH

PatrickH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

Did everything as requested... No problems... Heres the logs.
Thanks in advance.

VundoFix V7.0.5

Scan started at 11:36:44 PM 5/19/2008

Listing files found while scanning....

No infected files were found.

Beginning removal...

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.12
Database version: 768

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 50994
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 58 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 5
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 14

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\BMb70bf26b (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\krlqkqxf.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxqkqlrk.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\homepage.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo1.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo2.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo3.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo4.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo5.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo6.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif1.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif2.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif3.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\qgtkahxi.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\inf\ultra.PNF (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

-PH

Edited by PatrickH, 20 May 2008 - 12:01 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:27 AM

Did you reboot the computer after using MBAM? If it encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you need to restart the computer so the malware can be fully removed. Failure to do so will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. Your log indicates some files will be deleted on reboot. If you have not rebooted, make sure you do this. When done, rescan again with MBAM and post the new log report.

You edited your post. The email notification I received showed that VundoFix successfully removed over twenty bad files. It also showed that your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. That's probably how you came to be infected in the first place. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 6...allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
Note: If you choose to update via the Java appelet in Control Panel, uncheck the option to install the Google Toolbar unless you want it.

When done let me know how your computer is running and if there are any more signs of infection.

#5 PatrickH

PatrickH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

Thank you again for your response.

Yes I immediately rebooted the computer and now boots to desktop no problems. Yes I did edit my log post earlier because I had run VundoFix earlier this month on this machine and it kept the old logs from that past date. I didn't realize that until I posted the logs. I didn't want that old info in there. Hope thats Okay. Heres the new MBAM log.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.12
Database version: 768

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 50994
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 58 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 5
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 14

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\affri (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MS Juan (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FCOVM (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemoveRP (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\BMb70bf26b (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\krlqkqxf.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\fxqkqlrk.ini (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\homepage.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo1.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo2.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo3.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo4.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo5.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promo6.html (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif1.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif2.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif3.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\qgtkahxi.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\inf\ultra.PNF (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Deleted Old Java ->Rebooted -> Installed New Java ->Rebooted ->

Computer Running Smoother.... Want A Hijack This Log?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:09 AM

Hijackthis logs are not permitted in this forum. Referrals are made to the HJT forum if we cannot assist you here or the infection keeps returning.

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
Vista Users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point and Disk Cleanup.

#7 PatrickH

PatrickH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

I created a restore point and ran disk cleanup... Computer is running really good now.

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE STAFF THAT ASSISTED...

-PH

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

You're welcome.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
"IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings".
"How to Set Security Options in the Firefox Browser".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users