Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Not Full Screen After Windows Service Pack 2 Installed On Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cheryli51

cheryli51

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

hello all
newbie.
i did an update and installed windows service pack 2 to my XP when message said it was missing and installed it and when prompted to restart computer did so and now do not have full screen on monitor. have almost an inch of black around the screen all sides and left side and top block cursor when trying to enlarge and right side and bottom cursor just goes off screen.
would appreciate any help???
thanks in advance
cheryl51

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

Can you try to run chkdsk?

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Put check marks for both options (scan, recover).

Louis

#3 cheryli51

cheryli51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:28 AM

hi
thanks for reply
went to link
ran scan and said it fixed 4 problems.
system, drivers were okay tho
rebooted and still viewing screen is smaller than monitor size with black outside borders.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

try going into device manager and removing your display adapter and rebooting

if your display adapter is not listed or seen in display settings we need to know the make and model of your computer and/or video adapter so you can reload the driver
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

Hello cheryli51,

Another thing to try:

Some monitors have physical buttons that you can use to adjust various display properties (e.g., brightness, contrast, horizontal and vertical size, etc.,). If you have these adjustment controls on your monitor, try changing the horizontal and vertical sizes and/or positions.

I use those to get a small black border around my display screen, which is the way I like it.

#6 cheryli51

cheryli51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

hi all
thanks again so much.
tried the buttons on the monitor first and was able to adjust screen to full. would not have even guessed to try that as it started when installed the service pack so was tunnel visioned there as problem. thanks again.
cheryl51

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

Nice going, M :thumbsup: .

That was my first thought (monitor controls)...but I felt that it was too basic to even ask...someday I'll learn :flowers:.

Louis

#8 evil83

evil83

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:33 AM

hi...i had the same problem....my screen shrinking after 3-5 minutes on...what is the causes? really need help... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users