Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sp3 Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Emile

Emile

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:09 AM

Hello,
I have read the above permanent topic but I cannot find what is the error reported and what must I do...
see attached .log file

Help is appreciated.
Emile Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 560 ti,PCX Nvidia 550 ti,
SSD 120Gb, 2 x 1 Tera SATA6, Dual Boot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:08 AM

Have you tried booting with a USB flash drive inserted in your system? I've heard of this problem with Asus motherboards (although they've been with AMD processors)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:05 AM

Have you tried booting with a USB flash drive inserted in your system? I've heard of this problem with Asus motherboards (although they've been with AMD processors)

Hi,
I have removed my USB stick (used with eBoostr) , exit Antivirus and spyware products and it seams that I was I bit futher BUT almost at the end (I suppose) the window "software Update Installation Wizard" just closes, the "installing Udates" windows stays there and does not change, the Task Manager show NO activity ........

I decided to restore to "before XP SP3 installation" afterwards I looked at the svcpack.log (see attached copy) and it seams that my system was waiting for a reboot???
Help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Edited by Emile, 20 May 2008 - 02:07 AM.

Emile Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 560 ti,PCX Nvidia 550 ti,

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:15 AM

I have installed this on my laptop which is ASUS with and AMD processor and have had no problems at all. All my Windows XP machines had no problems. Seems to me the downloaded files from Microsoft maybe corrupt. Try downloading the file from Microsoft and running it on the machine instead of using Windows update.

Give that a go and let us know how you went.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:47 AM

Hi, Please find the end of the .log file

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

I wonder if eBoostr is conflicting with the Service Pack installation - I'd suggest uninstalling it until this issue is remedied.
Did you reboot? If so, were there any errors/messages on reboot? What does Windows say about the Service Pack level (Use the System applet in Control Panel (Classic View)).

I have had issues with SP3 on a fresh install of Windows - and a proprietary tool that I use demands that the system be updated to SP2. Our fix is to uninstall SP3, install SP2, then reinstall SP3.

FWIW - I've never been sure if SP2 is a prerequisite for SP3 (some places say yes, most say no) - so as a safety feature I install SP2 before installing SP3.

Edited by usasma, 20 May 2008 - 07:08 AM.
added FWIW stuff

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:02 AM

"Try downloading the file from Microsoft and running it on the machine instead of using Windows update"
Download done, it is possible to run it in safe mode??

I wonder if eBoostr is conflicting with the Service Pack installation - I'd suggest uninstalling it until this issue is remedied.
Did you reboot? If so, were there any errors/messages on reboot? What does Windows say about the Service Pack level (Use the System applet in Control Panel (Classic View)).

I have had issues with SP3 on a fresh install of Windows - and a proprietary tool that I use demands that the system be updated to SP2. Our fix is to uninstall SP3, install SP2, then reinstall SP3.

FWIW - I've never been sure if SP2 is a prerequisite for SP3 (some places say yes, most say no) - so as a safety feature I install SP2 before installing SP3.

"Did you reboot? " NO I reloaded the restore point .... I was afraid .... :thumbsup:
"sp2" Is already installed on the XP

Thanks for assisting me.

#8 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:16 AM

I'm not 100% sure you if can install SP3 in safe mode BUT it's worth a try. Try install it in Windows before trying Safe Mode.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#9 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2008 - 03:10 AM

Hello,
I did not try the safe mode. :thumbsup:
Uninstalled Antivirus and other programs.
XP SP3 installed.
Thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users