Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Internet Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 junodude456

junodude456

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:19 AM

Hi, I am running Vista Home Premium and use wifi. Three days ago my internet stopped working out of the blue, i manged to get it up and working again but now everytime I use firefox the internet will just seem to freeze up after about 5 minutes, sometimes less. This happens if I use Internet Explorer as well and the only way to be able to use the internet again is to restart the whole machine, but it still stops working after a few minutes. The odd thing is that this doesnt effect any other machine in the network such as my laptop, psp ,ps3, as well as my brothers laptop all use the internet with no problems whatsoever. Whats even more odd is that my computer is still apparently connected to the internet but I cant use it. I dont know what caused this but I do remember deleting some virus I found three days ago if that matters. Also after this happened it takes awhile for my pc to shutdown. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChibiDeath

ChibiDeath

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:54 AM

I'm not professional, but I had my desktop go through a similar error about half a year ago, except it was on XP. Some things you want to check though is this

Go to Start>Accessories>Right click Command prompt> Run as Administrator. When asked for permission, hit yes.

Type in Ping google.com This is just to see if your packets are being received or not. If all four go through, (try this six times to make sure) Then it's obviously not a connection problem. If all packets go through something you can try to make sure (but isn't particularly necessary however narrows options down a LOT.) go to a friends house with a wired connection, plug in your comp. You can disable your wireless settings by going to start> control panel> View NEtwork Status and tasks (underneath Network and Internet)> manage network settings> Right click the Wireless Network Connection icon and click on disable. (Just do this whole thing over again and click enable instead of disable to put wireless back on.)

See how it goes. IF problems persist even with the wired connection ( or you may have not done this at all) Then it's most likely a VERY VERY dangerous trojan. I had one in my system that let me connect to things, but would constantly shut down the connection before I got through. But that's as far as my expertise goes. What I had to do was pretty much use a external hard-drive to copy all the data on my computer from my C-Drive, use a firewalled, very up-to-date virus protector on a computer I didn't use much, and found the virus, deleted it from the hard-drive. Reinstalled my Operating system onto my old Desktop, and then moved the files to the desktop.

What I can suggest is getting a flash-drive, downloading Hi-Jack This on one of your other family computers, bringing it to your computer, installing it, runnin git, and posting a process log here for someone to read. Again I'm not a professional, just someone who went through a VERY similar issue. Do things like Aim and MSN stay connected despite your browser not being able to run?

#3 junodude456

junodude456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I checked the ping about 10 times and it is most definitely connected to the web. I also tried a wired connection but again the problem persisted. I also ran Avast, A-Squared, Ad-Aware, and Microsoft malware detector and all came up clean. l post a Hijack This report on here as well, I can only hope that it isn't as bad as you say but if it is then well what can ya do.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:44 PM

Hello junodude456,

I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/147685/internet-problem-caused-by-virus/ Because you have this log posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. If, when you have been declared clean by the HJT forum and you are still experiencing this issue, send a PM to a moderator to reopen this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :huh:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users