Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get Internet Faster

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fremder

Fremder

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 31 March 2005 - 06:12 PM

Is there is a way to get the Internet faster besides a Internet Accelerator (I have one, its ok), can you put two modems in one computer and connect to a phoneline port? Can you put a DSL modem in a computer? Is there anything you can do besides calling my ISP? I did call him and he just gave stupid answers like it could be the phone company. I got a new computer Febuary 2004 and the old one was a Windows 98 and the Internet went faster on the 98 instead of the XP and the Internet slowed down right after I got the new computer which is a Emachines. I put the modem in the 98 in the XP and it only made faster by a little. I need a reasonable answer please.
You will not like me if I'm angry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:58 AM

It is possible to put two mdoems in a machine, with two phone lines, and two dialups, and bond the two together. There is no real way to make a telephone line fgaster though. Have you tried swapping out the telephone cable going from the modem to the telephone jack?

#3 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:13 AM

I didn't try replacing the cord, but by looking at the cord it looks like its being stretched.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:12 PM

Try that out and see if it helps

#5 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:57 PM

I'm going to have to do that later. Would the length of the phone cord to the phone port determine how fast you would get the information from the Internet?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

No it should not matter unless you are using a ridiculously long cord (50+ feet)

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

If you're using an internal modem to dial up you should have the 'two PCs' blinking icon in the system tray when you are connected. If you double click that a connection status window will open showing you the Status, Duration and Speed of your connection. In my experience the speed figure is a good indication of phone line quality:
Assuming its a 56kbps modem a good phone line will allow connection at 40-50kbps, if you are connecting below 33kbps it suggests to me you have a phone-line or modem problem. Remember the phone-line includes the cables you use to connect your PC to the phone outlet so check those first as Grinler suggested, then if there is no improvement talk to the phone company.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:42 AM

I'm glad I glanced at this thread. How ironic that my ISP told me less than two weeks ago that 'no phone cord should be longer than 6 ft because all that data and information has to transmit through that cord, so the longer it is past that 6 ft (and no computer should be further than 6 ft from the phone jack or phone outlet), the longer it takes to transfer data necessary for dialup customers'.
He didn't ask me how long my cord was. He just asked if my computer was more than 6ft from the jack. Then I got the above statement.
In addition to what's been said so far, if you have 2 phone lines, try connecting your internet via the other phone line. And also, try using a different access number through your ISP.
Many people say that your system resources don't factor in with dialup speed but I know, for me, in the dinosaur ages, if my resources were just at 79-82%, it sure seemed like browsing and loading were slower and more interrupted.
Check your modem speed as well. Control Panel>Modems>General Tab>Properties>Maximum Speed as well as all settings within your Modems Properties and your ISP settings. Incidentally, how old is your modem?
If all else fails, call your ISP. Free 24-hr advice (most of them). If you have any phone trouble - noise, static, or other issue - your problem is with the phone company. Schedule a repair.
Hope I've helped.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:20 AM

Just on this maximum distance thing - if we are talking about a standard analog phone line, not digital or PABX lines, its just 4 copper wires and they've just come 15Km (or whatever distance you are from the nearest exchange) down the road to your telephone socket. Whether you plug in a 2m cord or a 50m cord won't make any noticable difference.

For the ISP to tell TexasAngel the PC has to be within 6' of the jack is just ridiculous! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:29 AM

That's just the beginning, Rimmer. And by the way, I think ISP techs are RIDICULOUS.
Here's the deal - my story:
For nearly 2 years, all was well. Fast speeds, no disconnects, etc...
Then about a month ago, connection speeds were funky and kept changing, as I kept reconnecting for a higher connection speed. Browsing and such slowed as well, especially clicking on links of any kind. So, with my own blonde little head, I used some brain cells and first "Restore My Account", a feature provided through my ISP settings. No changes. I then changed my access number. No changes. I called my ISP, which happens to be my phone company as well.
1st call - They had me reset my modem, restore defaults in IE. Numbers increased but links were still slow and I lost my Google Toolbar.
2nd call - They had me reset my modem, change TCP settings or refresh them, forgot now. Then they had me remove Winsock and Winsock2 folders, reboot, and reconnect. No change. Then we changed the access number. I was told to update modem drivers.
(I did.)
3rd call - I tried to get the phone company (remember, they are my ISP too) to come out and check inside and outside wiring and cords but they refused to do a work order because I had no problems with my phone service. The tech had me do all of the above from the first 2 calls almost to a T. When he tried to get me to reset my modem, I explained this was already attempted. Then he suggested I update modem drivers which I explained was also attempted. Then I bought a brand new modem the night before. He asked me why. Frustrated, I told him I figured they kept having me mess with my modem, resetting and updating, every single time I called. When nothing worked, I bought a brand new one. He said "I don't understand why you would do that." Anyway, he lectured me for about 15 minutes on modems and connection speeds and how none of that truly mattered. I didn't hear a word he said and didn't really care. It was mumbo-jumbo.
4th call - Quite frustrated now, I explained I was fed up and wanted advice on fixing the problems other than resetting my modem as this was her first course of action. She leafed through my other phone calls to the techs and transferred me to service/repair. This genius said it wasn't his problem my internet was acting up and transferred me back to techs without a "goodbye" or "have a nice day".
5th call - I am beyond livid at this point. I run down my list of events and attempts and frustrations. I'm trying to figure out how everything can be perfect for nearly 2 years, then bam! Nothing's good anymore. I asked her what the heck did the IE settings have anything to do with my modem or connection speeds. She replies with "nothing, they are not connected in any way. There was no reason for you to change your IE settings". Umm, a tech had me do it, I tell her. I get nowhere time and time again. She transfers me and I get another tech. He tells me to reset my modem, update modem drivers (yeah, who would guess huh?), and once I tell him all that has been done and he should check my history on my records, he says "well there is nothing else that we can do for you." I told him that I am a paying customer and have been dealing with one inexperienced tech after another for a week now and I think it's time to dump my ISP and my phone company, as they are one and the same. I rant for awhile. Then he says "also, may I ask how far is your computer from the outlet?" And I reply with "about 15 ft, why?" He says, "there is your problem then. It should never be further than 6ft. You must understand that so much data and information must transmit through all of your cords and wiring. Sounds like the problem is solved. Otherwise, we can no longer help you." To which I reply, "wait a minute. I have made no changes in my computer. No changes to the system, wiring, cords, or position. Something else is wrong and you want to dump me off like I'm nothing? I'm not going to move my computer or buy a new phone cord or anything else. This is ridiculous." All he can think to tell me is "I'm sorry, that's all the information I have. Please contact your phone company."
This goes back and forth. The phone company wants my ISP to take the heat for my troubles and my ISP wants to blame the phone company. I have told them both that THEY ARE both. It doesn't sink in, I guess. I think the main problem is that they outsource to India and NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE but they are sometimes rude, often inexperienced, not up to par on communications and relations, and the accent can be hard to comprehend. I know people from all over the world, literally, and the toughest to understand, for me, is people from India. Oh and a message to all of the outsourced techs I've had so far: Please stop telling me your name is Shawn or Adam or Nikki or Mike or Joseph. I'm not an ignorant, uneducated American. I can handle whatever your real name is. Otherwise, don't give me one. Incidentally, it's not an "Icon Screen", it's a "Desktop". It's not a 'hardware manufacturer', it's a 'computer manufacturer'. It's not a 'photo-picture', it's a screenshot.
I apologize for my rant. I'm fed up. Tomorrow, I think it's time to dump AT&T for all of my services.

#11 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:14 AM

TexasAngel67: Don't you dare apologize! Ranting is good for our souls. And no one should be offended by your comments about understanding those outsourced "technicians". My wife is Korean. I deal with many different English language "accents" in my work. But none are as difficult to comprehend as those you mentioned. I say that with the utmost admiration for anyone who lives in a relatively impoverished nation and yet learns not only a technical skill, but the ability to communicate that knowledge in a second language. Added to the (IMHO) inherent difficulty of understanding that dialect, is the fact that it arrives over a sometimes poor quality telephone line at a time of stress on our end....somethings broken and we want it fixed. I've been told that the "tech's" on the other end are forced to essentially read from scripts to resolve specific complaints and they are closely monitored as to how long they spend with any one "problem". I'm guessing they are not rewarded for being patient and innovative.

That's what is so cool about BC...everyone in their own way working patiently to help a "stranger" resolve a problem.

And yeah, I think you need a new different ISP...only wish I could point you in the right direction.

And a quick funny: My father was a whiz at things electrical (way before computers, but he would have been the first on his block to have one). He used to jokingly tell me never to have a knot in an extension cord or power cord because the poor little electrons would have trouble finding their way through the maze. So check your phone lines for loops and twists, OK? :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#12 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:51 AM

Twinsdad,
Thanks for reading my rant and sharing my frustrations. I also have close friends and relatives of different nationalities; Bangladesh, Spain, Cambodia, Mexico, South Africa, etc... I mean absolutely no offense to anyone. But outsourcing or not, why can't I get someone with knowledge and experience to help me? As much as I dislike Charter, even they were better than this. Indeed, it's time to move on and leave AT&T behind. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, not counting the bad taste in my mouth.
I hope that somehow, someway, someone, somewhere, gains something out of this.

#13 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:31 PM

TexasAngel67, you said that phone cord shouldn't be over 6 feet, I think mine is. Anyways, you didn't say if you moved your computer closer to the phone port to see if your Internet would go faster, did you? If you didn't why did you give that advise, I probably won't be able to test it because my computer is in the kitchen and the phone port (or is it phone outlet?) is on the other side of a padio door and my phone cord goes over the padio door to get to the port and if the cord is the problem, I might as well get a wireless connection thing so I don't need a cord. You know those cords that are bigger than phone cords that are suppose to get your Internet faster, what if I got one?

Edited by Fremder, 05 April 2005 - 04:41 PM.

#14 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

Fremder - the point being made in the above ranting was it does not matter if your phone cord is more than 6 feet long. That was just a silly red herring the ISP used to fob people off.
What is important is that the phone cord is in good condition, no knots, not stretched, no broken insulation, no broken connectors, no broken wires and properly plugged in at the computer end and at the wall end. :thumbsup:

When you next connect to the internet re-read my first post to check the modem connection speed and tell us here what speed you connected at.

I'll wait for others more expert to advise you on installing a broadband modem/wireless router. :flowers:

#15 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:12 PM

I apologize for the confusion, Fremder. I shouldn't have gone on about the topic and swamped your thread.
I didn't move my computer to see if there was any change because it's kinda hard for me to do that. This 3 bedroom, 2 bath house isn't huge and although the living room is long, it's not very wide, which decreases your options, really. My computer is on one end of the living room and around the corner into my bedroom, is the phone jack for the second line which is used for the fax and internet only. Besides, the computer has been in this same exact place since I've been with AT&T. Its position really doesn't matter.
I used to have the cord you are referring to instead of the standard cord used for phones. I don't recall any difference and only switched it out because of the color.
But, like Rimmer, I'll back off now and let Grinler or other experts help guide you more.
If your problem started suddenly, I'd call the phone company once you've checked all other possibilities. Remember, advice and tech help from your ISP and your phone company are free. I just hope it's better than what I am dealing with currently.
Good luck. Don't forget to post your connection speeds from the last 3 times you've connected online. Your current speed won't mean as much if it connects at different speeds each time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users