Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Or Avast?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 arkay

arkay

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

I'm thinking of downloading either one of the free versions of AVG or Avast as my new protection software, but I don't know which is better. Or are they the same? Or... I don't know.

I read some reviews on download.com and they both seem pretty good.

Advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:22 PM

Pick one. Install and try it for a week. Update it, scan. Find out where and how to change settings.
After a week (and it may not take you that long), uninstall and try the other one. See which one works best for you. Sometimes the only way to find out what will work for you is a "test drive".

I've used AVG free for a few years. No problems with it. Always does the job it's designed to.
However, I am not averse to trying out other av programs.

#3 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:25 AM

I've been using avg for months now, and had no problems with it..
though I have read on many sites, people preferring avast over avg.

I tried installing avast but had some problems.. and it seemed a bit more complex than avg.

I'd still say, go for avg 7.5 ;) until the end of the year :thumbsup:

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hi,
I have been using AVG 8.0 for a few months now. I would recommend you download AVG 7.5 rather than AVG 8.0 there has been several promblems with AVG 8.0 I don't want to uninstall and then install it back because AVG 7.5 stops updating at the end of this year. Avast is very good too, however the scans take too long. Avast takes about 3.5 hours to finish my computer, but AVG only take 2 hours sometime 1 hour.
I would perfer AVG 7.5 until the end of the year as well.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hi,
I have been using AVG 8.0 for a few months now. I would recommend you download AVG 7.5 rather than AVG 8.0 there has been several promblems with AVG 8.0 I don't want to uninstall and then install it back because AVG 7.5 stops updating at the end of this year. Avast is very good too, however the scans take too long. Avast takes about 3.5 hours to finish my computer, but AVG only take 2 hours sometime 1 hour.
I would perfer AVG 7.5 until the end of the year as well.
Good luck :thumbsup:

Extremeboy

And also to add to the note, AVG 8.0 can clash with other malware or spyware programs such as Spybot and Spywareblaster but this has been clarified to the AVG unit and i read some where they are working on a solution.

Heres some other threads upon this discussion:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/143321/avg-8-and-spywareblaster-conflicts-are-occuring/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146069/avg-80-false-positives/

Edited by -Cloud, 20 May 2008 - 07:03 PM.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

Hi,
You can also download vira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus
It's very good as well.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:47 AM

I think Avast is the better AV out of AVG and Avast. But then again I think Avira Anti Vir is better than them both. Thats just my two cents :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users