Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Digital Signatures?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

I have 2 OS on my PC, one Vista Ultimate and the other XP. When I log on both OS are displayed for logging onto but I can only log onto the Vista OS.

The XP brings up this:

"error: 0xc0000428 System 32\ntkrnlpa.exe Windows cannot verify the Digital Signature of the file?"

Now, I need to mention here that the current Vista instillation is of the second kind, it's the second instillation of Vista and XP was installed when the first instillation of Vista was on my PC.

That may have something to do with this error I imagine. But I am not to familiar with Digital Signatures. I'm not sure what I need to do to update this signature so that I don't have to also totally re-install the XP OS.

Right clicking on the file in question doesn't bring up any options for updating the signiture either. I am at a lose.

Anyone know what to do here?

John :huh:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:58 AM

I'm a bit confused here, what was installed first - Vista or XP?

I would first try running Startup Repair with your Vista installation disk ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ )

If that doesn't fix it, then we'll have to have a deeper look. Let us know how it works out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

Hi usasma,

I've done what you recommended, the Vista startup and repair and I still get the same result when trying to start XP:

"error: 0xc0000428 System 32\ntkrnlpa.exe Windows cannot verify the Digital Signature of the file?"

The XP was installed before the current Vista instillation and after the previous Vista instillation.

I had no problems accessing the XP when it was installed after the previous Vista instillation.

I did a re-install of Vista because of errors in it's functionality some associated with startup.

Does that help understand what's up here?

I would think that it would update the signature on it's own but no deal.

So, if you have any further suggestions I'd appreciate hearing them. I just hope that I don't need to do a total re-install of XP.

Thanks.

John
John

Albert Einstein.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:33 AM

It appears that this error is caused by failing the first security check in the Windows Vista bootup process (a subject that I'm just starting to learn about). The usual solution for this is to replace ntkrnlpa.exe with a known good copy from your installation DVD.

From this link:
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:AZvAo...lient=firefox-a

A simpler method may be to do a repair install of Vista according to these directions: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-re...tall-vista.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:32 PM

Hi usasma,

I've just got done trying to use the XP instillation disk to repair the XP OS instead of using the Vista as you suggested. Only, it asks for an Administrative Password before it will go a head and do the repair.

Only, I don't remember ever giving that instillation a pass word. So, no matter what I do I can't use the XP repair tool.

Unless, I can find the Password in the XP registry to see what's there. I remember someone here pointing out to me how to do that but that was like 3 years ago. So, unless I remember how to access that part of the XP registry I'll either have to do a total re-install of the XP OS or try researching on Microsoft's Help Pages some more.

Also, operantly you can't do a repair instillation with OEM editions. I have an OEM Vista edition. And to read through your other suggestion - the assessment - that you offered will take some time.

If you, someone here or research at Microsoft doesn't yield anything soon I'll have to do a total re-install.

I will listen to what ever you have to suggest though. Thanks.

John
John

Albert Einstein.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:48 AM

Normally, when trying to do an XP repair through the Recovery Console, you'll be prompted for the Administrator password. In most cases that password is blank - so try just pressing the Enter key when you get to that prompt.

Be SURE that it's the XP install that you're repairing. If you pick the wrong install it may hose everything!

#7 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

Hi usasma,

I did what you suggested and yes that seems to be all that is needed. Da, me! It continued and went to the Windows instillation. However, that is all it does.

It just takes me to a "Command Prompt" formate and doesn't so anything else. Apparently, I am suppose to be telling it what to do here?

I ran a few commands, like remake the start up directory kind of stuff but none of that helped. I even found/remembered the "F8" key for showing a few more options for start up like 'Start even if signatures aren't current' - something like that. None of it worked. It still won't start for the same reason.

I am not even sure a total re-install will fix this, that's why I've been waiting this long without doing one.

This does seem to be a common problem, I've found Microsoft has a page dedicated to it in there help files but that didn't do much either.

It's just one stupid little things holding it all up. I really want to get better at this stuff. I'm really getting tied of a "Total Re-Install" as the only solution that I know for things like this. There just has to be a better way. Courses, something.

Anyhow, if you have anything up your sleeve I'd be happy to hear it, other wise I just may have to rely on trying that old shot gun standard, a "Total Re-install". Bummer.

Thanks,

Edited by Johnz414, 22 May 2008 - 12:03 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

The first thing to type in Recovery Console is:

chkdsk /r (and then press Enter)

Then type:

fixmbr (and press Enter)

Then type:

fixboot (and press Enter)

#9 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:01 PM

Hi usasma,

I've done all three, still can't access XP.
John

Albert Einstein.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:15 AM

Do you have more than 1 physical hard drive? To find this out, go to Start and type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the Disk Management console you'll be able to see how many physical hard drives that you have - or you'll see that you've got 2 (or more) partitions on one drive (Vista on one partition, XP on the other).

If it's a separate hard drive, I'd run a diagnostic utility available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

If it's a separate partition, then I'd have to suggest a repair install of XP
If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed, read this first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
Then, here's the link for the repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#11 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hi usasma,

Yes, my XP is on a separate partition and I did do a repair install as you suggested.

This did work to allow me to access my XP OS but only my XP OS and it left out the Vista.

After putting SP 3 on I then turned to using the Vista instillation disk for re-accessing the Vista OS. That worked for accessing the Vista but disabled access to the XP with the same error.

I was able to access both originally when I installed the XP after the very first instillation of Vista on my new PC but it just doesn't want to cooperate anymore.

Microsoft doesn't seem to be able to give a real solution for this what seems to be one of the major headaches of Vista.

This seems to be one of the big reasons people keep saying that they are going to go back to XP. I'd like to stay on VISTA myself because I like the new look and functionality of it but I'd like to still be able to access XP for those programs that seem to want to only work on XP.

So, you can't win for losing as they say. I'll just have to keep at it and hopefully something will come along sooner than latter.

Edited by Johnz414, 23 May 2008 - 05:50 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

I would suggest using a tool such as Vista Boot Pro (free here: http://www.vistabootpro.org/ ) or EasyBCD (free here: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 )to see if you can add the XP installation that way.

If you read through this link, towards the end (before the comments) is a description of how to do it with EasyBCD: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...ystep_guide.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users