Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Process Dllhost.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

XP Home SP2.

I noticed C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe running in Process Explorer today. The file size is 5120kb; size and location are correct for this system file. I check the processes every day and this is a new one.

The "Com+ System Application" is set to manual in Administrative tools/Services. Windows updates ran yesterday, could that be a clue? The most recent program I have installed was ccleaner a couple of weeks ago(I don't use the registry feature :>). Would ccleaner call on this service?

Anyone know why this file might have recently started running?

Thanks,
Rusty

Edited by RknRusty, 18 May 2008 - 10:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:17 AM

Use this free program to see what's running within the dllhost.exe process: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

Right click on the dllhost.exe process and select Properties
Then click on the Threads tab and let us know the filenames that you find there.
If the only filename is dllhost.exe, then click on the Stacks button and let us know what's there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

Thanks, usasma. I got the newer version of task manager. Here's what we have:

[attachment=5302:dllhost.jpg]

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

comsvcs.dll is associated with the COM+ System Application and it runs through the dllhost.exe
On my XP SP3 VM, if I start the service, dllhost.exe pops up in my Task Manager - so I think that this is the most likely reason for it.
Try stopping the COM+ System Application in services.msc and see if it goes away - if so, you've found the reason. When I stop the service on my system, the dllhost.exe instance disappears.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

comsvcs.dll is associated with the COM+ System Application and it runs through the dllhost.exe
On my XP SP3 VM, if I start the service, dllhost.exe pops up in my Task Manager - so I think that this is the most likely reason for it.
Try stopping the COM+ System Application in services.msc and see if it goes away - if so, you've found the reason. When I stop the service on my system, the dllhost.exe instance disappears.

That kills the process on mine too. maybe it was some change Windows Updates made this week. It doesn't seem too intrusive, so I'll leave it alone for now. If I get an urge to experiment, I'll disable the COM+ SysApp and see if any glitches occurr. Thanks for the assistance.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:19 AM

FYI - It's set to Manual on my system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users