Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Config.sys File? No Recovery Disk With Dell

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 base363

base363

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

Called Dell and they told me I needed a new hard drive? When I boot it up, it says the config.sys is missing or corrupt. To recover, install the cd that came with the computer. No such disk, just a note saying to use system restore. Dell sold me a new hard drive, but I still want to try and recover the data off the disk? They wouldn't send me the disk the computer is asking for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:14 AM

If they didn't send a disk, and did send a hard drive - it's likely that the files to restore already exist on the hard drive. Try installing it and booting up to see if it starts to setup Windows for you (happened to me at work with a customer's computer and a mailed Dell hard drive).

Disconnect the old hard drive to prevent anything happening to the data on it. Once Windows is setup you can slave the old hard drive to the system to see if the data is recoverable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 base363

base363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

Thanks! I havn't recieved the drive yet, but I did get all the disks. I'm guessing from your post, that I should completely install the new drive, then go for the data?

I'm planning on purchasing an external HD for back-ups. Any recommendations?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:29 PM

Yes, leave the old hard drive out of the mix for now - that way you can work at it at your leisure. If it's failing, each attempt to access it can damage the data - so leave it for a time when you can make one good, quick attempt at saving your stuff.

We can assist in helping you to reconnect it after the new hard drive is the computer and you've installed Windows on it. There are several ways to do this, the cheapest being "slaving" it to the computer. The easiest is to get a hard drive "caddy" or connector (about $30 US) to plug it into a USB port to access the drive.

I personally prefer Western Digital hard drives, but others here will swear by Seagate and other brands. I've had good service from Western Digital support - so that's why I stick with them.

For a laptop, you'll likely want one of the smaller drives (such as the Western Digital Passport series). They're small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, and they can hold up to 320 gB of data. For a desktop you may want one of the larger drives (such as the Western Digital MyBook series) which has a separate power supply and data cable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 base363

base363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

I looked at a Western Digital HD on Amazon for $97. They bundle it with a program called Acronis True Image Home V11.0 for $133.

However, the program has mixed reviews? Is the program necessary, or is it just as easy to drag and drop?

I’m also wondering about just putting the old HD in the empty slot in the computer? The ribbon has a place for it, but there is no extra blue “power?” cable?

If the caddy is the way to go, what specs should I be looking for? Any particular brand or model?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-150CADSBK-B...6312&sr=8-4

Edited by base363, 21 May 2008 - 07:38 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

Could you provide a link to the reviews? I've been using Acronis True Image since v7 and am very happy with it.

#7 base363

base363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:10 AM

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000V...howViewpoints=1

Here are some I was talking about.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Most of these reviews came out early in the v11 release cycle. With Vista just being released there may have been some problems with configurations that weren't accounted for. But, from what I've seen here and at work, v11 works just fine with the systems that we've used it on.

I've also been a beta tester for Acronis, and have found that there beta program is very responsive to input from the testers. I recall some issues early on, but haven't heard anything bad in quite some time. One reviewer wrote that the true evaluation of a backup/imaging utility isn't known until you actually restore it. As a beta tester I did just this with v11 and had no issues.

As for tech support from them - I don't use it (except when beta testing), so I can't attest to that portion. Most of the support that I've seen involves online forums like this one, with users helping users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users