Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dvd Drive,

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 elomont

elomont

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

Quick question:

I've just bought a HP dvd1040i 20x DVD drive.

My old one, with which I'm having problems, is a HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L.

Are they interchangeable? They have different wiring hookups. I believe the old one is SATA and I'm assuming the new one is not.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...AIN#detailspecs

The above drive connects with PATA/IDE cable from the power supply.

Your power supply should have both SATA and PATA connectors/cables on it...you'd have to take a look.

Your motherboard would also need to have both types of connectors/cables.

SATA and PATA/IDE are not interchangeable, although converters and controller cards can enable users to overcome non-interchangeability.

If either drive...has a 4-prong power supply connector...it is a PATA/IDE drive.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:43 AM

Both of those drives are ATA/IDE, so yes, they are interchangeable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:02 AM

First, Hamluis,

After burrowing through the power supply wiring, I do have 5 extra unused 4 prong connectors. There is also a much smaller 4 prong connector which looks like it may fit into the Analog Audio slot on the back of the new drive. That slot would be the second from the left if you view the picture on the link that you sent. Am I incorrect in thinking that there still has to be something else to plug into the back of the new drive?

Just a side note, the old drive does not have a 4 prong slot for one of those unused connectors.

Second, Dc3,

If they are interchangeable, do I need to also purchase a new cable of some sort since the existing wiring does not match the wiring on the new drive?

Lastly, I do remember seeing SATA drives at BestBuy, so I could just go back and switch the drives. I'm assuming this is my best bet?

Thanks guys for the help and for bearing with my "noobness" when it comes to this stuff.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

Lastly, I do remember seeing SATA drives at BestBuy, so I could just go back and switch the drives. I'm assuming this is my best bet?

Yes it would

There is also a much smaller 4 prong connector which looks like it may fit into the Analog Audio slot on the back of the new drive.

Don't bother with that plug. That was for older setups. You would run a cable from your soundcard to it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

I did end up buying a SATA DVD drive and installed it.

Now I can view DVD's again.

Still a little pissed I couldn't fix the other one, but I'll pick my battles!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

Generally speaking...I don't think anyone tries to fix malfunctioning optical drives...just get a newer, better, faster one.

The warranties on those things are only a year, anything beyond that is gravy.

Glad you overcame it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users