Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Hotswap?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

I'm pretty sure i know the answer to it already, but rather than taking a chance on screwing something up I'll ask anyway. Are USB(2.0) devices hotswapable, ie plug in or take out with the computer on? The USB HDD isn't too much of an issue since it stays plugged in all the time anyway, tho i did unplug it when i was installing ubuntu because the installer got confused. But i've been using a USB gamepad and i have to put it up when i'm done using it, those of you with destructive children will know why :thumbsup: Sometimes I forget to plug it in before i boot up, it hasn't screwed anything up yet just wanna know if its okay to plug it in with the power on

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

I plug my camera and printer in with the power on...no problems noticed. But I always turn the devices off when removing these.

OTOH...I have seen articles where users with memory cards have problems that seem to relate to disregarding the "safely remove" device warnings which XP yields.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:34 PM

If you disregard the safety feature to end the session with a flash drive and remove it you risk losing the information that is on it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users