Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Msg - A Write Operation Component.....

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Maya01

Maya01

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

Where to start?

Desktop running windows xp pro kept looping and wouldn't boot. Tried last known good configuration, safe mode and they wouldn't start either. Tried the windows cd for a repair but that didn't get far and shut down restart occured part way through.

I decided just to go for a complete clean reinstall of windows xp and deleted it from the partition, chose the default partition, and other steps, and it was going well until it said it needed to shut down and restart before continuing. I let it close itself down and restart and then it got as far as saying 39 minutes to complete the installation but at that point shutdown again without restarting.

Each time I try starting up now it gets as far as 'setup is restarting' then closes down again.

I've tried starting over by hitting 'any key' to boot from CD but it still comes up 'setup is restarting'

I can't start in safe mode. I've unplugged everything except the keyboard but it makes no difference whatsoever.

The error message that flashes just before shut down says 'A write operation component was attempted after it was dismounted' -

What does that mean?

Why did the loop start happening in the first place?

I download updates from Mircrosoft automatically and after a look around the internet today it seems that maybe it could be related to XP Service pack 3 but I don't even know if this has been downloaded an installed. I did accept installing some new download(s) but didn't take any notice as to what it was.

I also downloaded the new AVG 8.0 free version last time the pc turned on successfully.

Nothing else has been newly installed.

I notice that the SP3 has HP mentioned quite a few times and I have a HP printer/scan/fax installed on my desktop but the desktop itself isn't an HP so think this is unlikely but on the other hand I noticed people are having luck rebooting just by putting a flash drive in their USB port!!

Can anyone offer any ideas on what I can possibly do to get Windows to finish installing?

Many thanks
Maya

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

I would try running a diagnostic on the hard drive to rule out that as a problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.google.nl/answers/threadview?id=398673

Louis

#4 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:02 AM

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.google.nl/answers/threadview?id=398673

Louis

Hi, I read the thread and it sounds exactly the same problem as I also once got the message saying 'insufficient resources, something something API'

I don't know anything about building computers though and this desktop is only 5 months old - manufacturer GBT, model GBTUACPI. Do I need a new motherboard or something - that was my understanding of reading the thread?

I've got the original user's manual and cd so should I try reinstalling that or just take the pc to a shop for replace/repair whatever is wrong.

Many thanks

#5 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:32 AM

Well I tried installing the Gigabyte CD that came with the computer but it just gives me the option to use XpressRecovery2 which won't work. If I try to backup it just says 'backed up image failed error : 100' and if I try hitting the option to reboot I'm just back at the continuous reboot.

I just read somewhere that the reason my XP Pro disk won't work is because SP3 (if this is caused by SP3) thinks its old and out of date so stops it loading/installing! So basically I'll need to go and buy Vista then I suppose?

Has anyone worked out how to get out of the continuous restart/shutdown loop caused by installing SP3? From further reading, I'm pretty sure that's the problem but I can't find a solution yet.

Thanks
Maya

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

Some good info here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/
The Jaspers Blog link ( http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx ) contains more information about the reboot "thing"
Also mentioned is that some systems boot properly with a USB flash drive inserted in a USB port.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the help. The PC is now at the shop and the technician will hopefully repair it.

Maya

#8 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

Well it's taken almost a week but it seems our local computer shop can't sort the problem and have just told me that the hard drive is broken and must be replaced. The problem is that we're British and living in Spain so trying to make them understand that this is likely due to downloading SP3 on an AMD PC, is very difficult.

First they said they had to reformat the hard drive and yesterday said it was running too hot so they'd sent it off somewhere else. Today I'm told the hard drive needs replacing. Wouldn't they have spotted a broken hard drive sooner? This PC is only 5 months old and my daughter uses it for iTunes and her homework and we never had a problem until the dreaded SP3 was downloaded and installed using automatic update.

I'm off to the shop now, with my daughter who speaks fluent Spanish, in a hope that we can explain clearer about the SP3 problem. I'm hoping they'll agree trying to load another OS before we agree on a new hard drive. I read that other people have been able to use a different OS to solve the problem.

Living in Spain is the reason we haven't called Microsoft help - my Spanish just isn't up to that. The only chance of actually getting help would be to call the UK and a new hard drive will be cheaper!

Infuriating and frustrating. My daughter is in her last year at school and had important exam work on the PC. School finishes in 4 weeks so she's not happy that she'll need to re-do a lot of the work. At least some of the work was saved to her flashdrive. I know that's probably nothing compared to people relying on their PCs for their businesses.

Time to say bye bye to Windows I think.

Maya

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:12 PM

Well...just an observation here :thumbsup:.

I don't see where Windows (or any other operating system) can be the culprit...when a user fails to routinely execute a backup plan for data stored on a computer, no matter what type. Computers are...complicated, electronic devices. They can fail at any time, for any number of bona fide reasons...simply because they are dependent upon human inputs and maintenance...and they are electronic.

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.pcug.org.au/boesen/Backups/backups.htm

Louis

#10 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

Well...just an observation here :thumbsup:.

I don't see where Windows (or any other operating system) can be the culprit...when a user fails to routinely execute a backup plan for data stored on a computer, no matter what type. Computers are...complicated, electronic devices. They can fail at any time, for any number of bona fide reasons...simply because they are dependent upon human inputs and maintenance...and they are electronic.

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.pcug.org.au/boesen/Backups/backups.htm

Louis

I quite agree about the back up bit which is why I said that luckily she had a lot of her work backed up. I'm not blaming Windows for lost data. However, Microsoft are entirely responsible for the chaos that's being caused by SP3. She didn't expect to turn off her PC, for a couple of hours, and never be able to turn it on again or at least be able to recover or restore it. I assume you haven't had any problems with SP3? Have you read anything about the people that have been affected?

There's a lot of info here that may help others.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpo...0&pageid=12

Having spoken to the PC shop again, they've confirmed that the hard drive is beyond any kind of repair and there is no apparent reason for it. As mentioned previously, the PC is only 5 months old and mainly used just for school work and iTunes and worked perfectly fine until SP3 was automatically downloaded and installed by the automatic updates.

Yes, before you ask, I have turned off automatic updates on mine and my son's pc. In fact, automatic update had already downloaded SP3 to my pc but I didn't have auctomatic install turned on. If you can tell me how to get rid of it from my computer I'd be grateful as I definitely do not want to install it.

By the way her hard drive was a 320GB SATA 7200RPM MAXTOR/ SEAGATE/WESTERN DIGITAL. AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5200+. 2048MB DDR2 800 Mhz Dual Channel. DVD-RW Sony-Nec, VGA ATI Radeon X1200.

Many thanks
Maya

Edited by Maya01, 27 May 2008 - 02:26 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

We've had computers come from the factory with dead drives - and we've had them die within a couple of months. Some seem to last forever. It's a very delicate process involved in manufacturing a hard drive, so any little thing can cause it.

But, there are degrees of "dead" when it comes to hard drives. I'd take the drive and see if anything can be recovered from it by slaving it to another computer. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:44 PM

Understood :thumbsup:.

No, I had no problem installing SP3 on 3 systems (2 via WinUpdate, 1 via the admin package) and no problems on either system since installation of same.

I have AMD CPUs in both of my desktops, while the laptop has a Celeron processor.

I think that the key thing with AMD & SP3...was the fact that they were boxmaker systems (Dell, HP, etc.). I don't have any of those, preferring to do my own version of "We can build one for you." I don't do anything other than follow directions and then maintain my systems :flowers:.

Louis

#13 Maya01

Maya01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:27 AM

Now we've run into another problem. The computer shop put a new hard drive in but loaded Vista Ultimate instead of XP Pro, which was in use on the old hard drive.

How can we change Vista back to XP Pro - we still have our original XP Pro CD but obviously with Vista running, we can't boot from the XP CD.

We need to change back as the HP 5600 series printer/fax/scanner isn't compatible with Vista even though I downloaded an update that should make it compatible. When trying to install the drivers I get a message to say it's not compatible and can't proceed with installing the printer.

Also, Vista is in Spanish and we're English living in Spain. Not a problem for my daughter as she's fluent but virtually impossible for me to use her PC and I use it for printing quotes, invoices, etc. I downloaded and installed the Vista Ultimate language pack for English but can't work out how to change it into English because everything is in Spanish at the moment and I don't know my way around Vista.

We just want to change back to XP Pro - can we? How?

Or alternatively, can we have both Vista Ultimate and XP Pro installed so we can choose which to use?

Thanks
Maya

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:40 AM

I'm operating on the assumption that you paid to have the operating system installed on this new hdd? If so go back and have them wipe the drive and install XP on it. If they refuse and you don't want to pursue what other legal options you have over there you can do the same yourself. You will need a utility like Active Kill Disk, this is freeware. The site has a user's guide which will help you burn a CD and explain how to use it. You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order. After wiping the drive you will have a clean platform to work from.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users