Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network With 2 Pc Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 royce_adam

royce_adam

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

Hello Guys, Im having a problem in networking. Please help me guys. Here is my problem:
My older brother has an Intel core2duo computer. I also have a computer which is AMD Athlon. Both Operating systems are windows XP. Both also have a built-in LAN card. My brother has an internet broadband connection and he is enjoying it for about 2 months now. I wanted to share with his internet connection so that we could surf the net at the same time.
I bought a new LAN card and a UTP cable (cross). I installed the new LAN card on my brother's PC (It now has 2 LAN ports: the built-in which is for the broadband connection and the newly installed which is for the UTP cable). Then, I connected the UTP cable to both computers. I configured both computers with this:
My brothers PC Intel: (the newly installed LAN card configuration)
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
My PC AMD:
IP address: 192.168.1.2
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Both computers have the same workgroup name. I turned off the firewall of both computers. The LEDs are on for both computers. Both notification icons said that it is connected.
Here it goes:
My brothers PC (Intel) can access my PC (AMD). It can copy the files on the shared folder. I used the command: ping <IPaddress>. I received a successful response. It means it is connected.

The problem now is this: My computer cannot access my brothers PC. I cannot access his sharedfolder. I got the error message: " ... is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource..... The network path was not found." I also did the ping command but I received no response, so it means it is not connected. Im puzzled and confused. I know that there are a lot of computer geniuses here. Help me guys please... tnx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PatrickH

PatrickH

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hello,

Well basically your setup won't work because your going to need to buy a router as well to share the broadband connection to the internet. What you've done is setup just the two pc's to be able to "talk" to each other via the crossover cable. If you'd like to just do that put both computers in "ad-hoc" mode with the same workgroup and you'll be able to share files just from pc to pc. You can purchase a router ,I suggest either a d-link or a linksys wired router, and should cost around $40.00. Then you can proceed to share that internet connection with your bro.

-PH

#3 heltune

heltune

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

hello
is it possible to share internet connection (broadband) without using a router?
im planing to buy a wireless device on 1 pc with 1 lan card, since my mobo has an ethernet which connects to the broaband, the lan card will be used to connect to other pc which has also 1 lan card. furthermore, the wirless device on the main server that can share internet will also be used to connect to a laptop which has a wireless device. will it work?
thank you
god bless...

#4 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

Remove default gateway, you don't need it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users