Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycler/s

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

I have C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-90653946-560218527-2669329089-1004 on my computer. Don't know what it is. It is hidden and I am unable to un-hide. I have looked all over B/C not found anything. Google shows nothing. How can I open this to see what it is and what it does.
XP-PRO-SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hello Layback Bear.

C:\RECYCLER is your Recycling Bin. It's not designed to be viewed through Windows Explorer. That is a system folder and is protected so you won't be able to delete it.

It's nothing to worry about at all.

As far as I know you can't unhide it.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

Thank you very much for your quick answer. I feel better now.

#4 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:33 AM

I just installed an external hard disk (F). When I scanned it for the first time it appeared the famous RECYCLER folder with a lot of files. I is not visible in Windows Explorer and makes the scanning extremely slow. Is it normal? From where did it come? Must I delete it or will I have to tollerate it in subsequent scanings? Many thanks and greetings

Hello Layback Bear.

C:\RECYCLER is your Recycling Bin. It's not designed to be viewed through Windows Explorer. That is a system folder and is protected so you won't be able to delete it.

It's nothing to worry about at all.

As far as I know you can't unhide it.

With Regards,
The Panda

"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

Hello, merellogalasso

As has already been stated, %DRIVELETTER%:\RECYCLER is your Recycling Bin. It's not designed to be viewed through Windows Explorer. That is a system folder and is protected so you won't be able to delete it.

If the scans are taking too long, empty your recycle bin before running them.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

Many thanks Billy3, but sorry for my relative ignorance, how do I delete my recycle bin? Believe me that after so many years dealing with this hybrid field (bad and nice together) of computation and internet, it's the first time that the matter comes to my knowledge. Many thanks and kind regards.

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:39 AM

Right click your recycle bin on the desktop and select "Empty Recycle Bin"

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#8 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

Sorry but what's recycle bin? My basket is empty. Thanks a lot. Regards. A friend tells me that's a folder generated for the previous owner of the external disk, my son. And that I should just delete it.

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

Alright.... anyone else know what to do here? I agree that that folder should be deleted, but I have a funny feeling it's not going to let you.

Anyone have any idea on what to do here?

Billy3
Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

What is the full path for the folder in question?

Can we find that out before asking for further suggestions?

If you cannot see this folder...just how do you know that it exists?

In the end, I think what Billy stated applies. Detailed explanation follows.

http://www.topfreeforum.com/forum/viewtopi...m=neatnettricks

Louis

#11 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

Hello.

A friend tells me that's a folder generated for the previous owner of the external disk, my son. And that I should just delete it.

I think your friend was refering to the contents of the recycling bin. As Billy said, you can empty its contents by right clicking on the icon on your desktop (see here) and selecting Empty Recycling Bin.

File on that disk deleted by the previous owner will end up in the recycling bin of the computer that was used to delete it, not your computer.

Sorry but what's recycle bin?

It is just a temporary place where your files go when you delete them.

If you mean to remove it, then that is not possible.

With Regards,
The Panda

#12 cioran

cioran

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:40 AM

May I ask a related question?

I've searched the forum for RECYCLER\NPROTECT without success.
It appears (from google searches) this is an extension of the same function, but controlled by Norton Systemworks.
Although I've done my best to be rid of all things Norton, there's still some clutter which will probably only be shifted by TNT or similar.

I've read the post hamluis linked to, and believe I understand it. What I don't know is if these files can be overwritten by the MFT?
When I ask for properties or try to delete one (about 23GB all told, so there are plenty of them) I'm told it can't be found in spite of the file path being pretty clear. (I view them by asking to see hidden folders or by using WinDirStat).

I've posted elsewhere about having trouble setting up an Acronis TI Secure Zone, and Acronis support says this file ( \NPROTECT ) needs to go. I'm less than confident this would resolve the issue, but even so...

If these files can't be overwritten, that's more than 20 Gigs on my C drive good for nothing.

People elsewhere have suggested two commands:
del \\?\c:\recycler\nprotect\
rmdir /s \\?\C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT

or a more ordely procedure HERE.

It looks tempting, especially if this could solve Acronis issues and/or free up space on my C drive, but I'm hesitant.

Any advice?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:27 AM

I used Norton/Symantec products until 2005...and the protected Recycle Bin installed/activated by their products always irritated me.

A proper uninstall of such products should have eliminate this feature. If it failed to do so, you might consider usimg the Norton Removal Tool.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...;pkb=sharedtech

Louis

#14 cioran

cioran

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

Hi Louis,

I've just tried the tool, but like others before it, it doesn't work as it should.
It detects, for instance, Norton GoBack, and says it needs to be disabled before it can be removed - it offers to do this with a reboot, but since I've uninstalled GoBack as a program, it can't be launched in order to be disabled and I get an error.

I'm advised to remove GoBack from the usual add/remove programs list, but although GoBack is visible there, there is no option to remove it, probably since it's already been removed but won't really accept that.

I go to the program files and delete everything I can, but three folders under Norton SystemWorks (Norton Utilities, Norton GoBack and Process Viewer) refuse to budge.
I'm told they're in use or protected; I uncheck 'write protect' (if that's the corresponding English term?) but that protection snaps right back, and I can't delete them.

There's no uninstall option in the programs list.

This Norton stuff really digs in like a toad under a stone, doesn't it? And that's cleaning up my language rather a lot :thumbsup:

I know a lot of people have had these problems, and it seems to me it's going to need a bit more force than Norton's own tools.

I should probably make a registry copy before attempting any of those, though?

Thanks/Daniel

#15 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:30 PM

Try this.
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users