Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop To Tv

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hello258

Hello258

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

I just purchased a Gateway P-172S FX. The laptop has a VGA output and I would like to hook it up to my Daewoo television. It doesn't have a VGA input but, I could hook it up via RCA. But, the television also has an input similar to RCA(but enhanced), which is called a "Digital Comb Filter". I believe what it does is filter the three individual colors (Y/Cb/Cr) with an input for each color, instead of just one yellow wire like in regular RCA, (with a total of 5 RCA-like inputs, 3 for video and 2 for audio).

In short, could somebody help me figure out, if possible, how to take advantage of the digital comb filter in hooking up my laptop display to my TV. The links I provided are to the manufacturers specs of the given product. The detailed specs and owners manual are available for the Daewoo on the linked page.

Your help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:03 PM

The internal video on the laptop has a digital output called HDMI the best solution would be to use this port. This Adapter should suit your needs though.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Hello258

Hello258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

:thumbsup: So, I take it that this cable would give me three video inputs like I was looking for right? But, what about HDMI? Would it be clearer or better to use this port? I would like to get the best possible quality regardless of cost. Using HDMI, do they make a cable or converter that I could still use the "Digital Comb Filter" or could I only get one for RCA?

Thanks again for any and all help.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:11 PM

First lets clarify The digital comb filter is the technology inside the tv that creates the picture from the Component video input. Second the best picture quality would be achieved my connecting your Computer to a HD audio receiver using HDMI and then connecting the Receiver to your TV using the component connection. Upon further review I am not sure if using the VGA to component will even work since some articles state that y/cb/cr is a different than other component inputs and may require a converter. Your best bet would be to call a local Home audio and video shop and ask them about the connection. All of my research online has only given me vague answers. We haven't even tackled the resolutions of the TV which I can't find on the manufactures website. If the TV is High definition compatible (It will downgrade the signal to a supported resolution) you won't have a problem. If its not the picture won't be very clear if it shows up at all.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Hello258

Hello258
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:14 AM

I thank you very much for all the help you've given me. The information you've given me has been most insightful. I think you're right though, I'll probably have to take the whole issue to someone who is trained to do this type of thing. Thank you again for your time and effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users