Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W32.sality.ae Disabled My Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jdram

jdram

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

Good morning everyone.,

I could use a little help with this nastie I picked up the other day. It spread like crazy and infected both of my harddrives. Here are the symptoms and what I have done so far in short:
I found some win*.exe files in my processes, so I disabled them but they would return every few minutes. They were running in my temp folder. I deleted them from there, but just kept coming back. Whatever it was was also blocking my Norton and any website concerning any antivirus. So, I just started manually deleting files that I was sure didn't belong based on date created/modified, size, etc. (I wasn't too concerned if I had to reload that particular HD).
Anyway, I must have done something because I was able to get my Liveupdate and Norton picked up 360 someodd .exe files infested with W32.sality.AE. Ran it again and again, and the virus kept proliferating, but each time were fewer and fewer. At some point I powered down my PC and disconnected my other HD (which didn't matter, it was too late) and when I rebooted, my Internet was disabled. I have been on my wife's computer and I read about this virus and found out what it infects. I deleted the registry keys it created and changed the values of the ones it altered according to Symantec and Mcaffee. Still nothing. Now, I have one HD that appears to be clean of the virus, but is still damaged from it (or me tromping around in the registry) and another HD that is completely infected and neither one can connect to the internet.
I still have them separated and only boot one at a time, but can't get online with either. Here is the HJT log of the HD that is still infested, but has much less stuff on it. Norton does not work on this one. My other HD has alot more stuff on it, but Norton doesn't find any traces on it.

Well, thanks for your time and any light you can shed for me. I will happily answer any questions.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:08:14 AM, on 5/18/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kkw_run.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kmw_run.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\KMW_SHOW.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntvdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: IEHlprObjClass - {CE7C3CF0-4B15-11D1-ABED-709549C10000} - C:\PROGRA~1\KENSIN~1\MouseWorks\IE_KMW.DLL (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kkw_run.exe] kkw_run.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kmw_run.exe] kmw_run.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Proxy Service (ccPxySvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Internet Security Accounts Manager (NISUM) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe

--
End of file - 2901 bytes

-------------------------------------------------------
-JD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:46 PM

Hello jdram

Welcome to BleepingComputer :thumbsup:
========================
If you are still in need of assistance please post a new Hijackthis log.
Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users