Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Is Behaving Strangely

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Morgane

Morgane

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

Hello!

My mouse has started behaving strangely a couple of days ago. It now often double-clicks when I only click once. It also jumps all around the page when I use it in Excel, ie when I insert a comment it inserts it but doesn't let me edit it, when I then right-click to edit the comment, it brings the comment up very quickly and then jumps somewhere else on the page. I often have to try 2 to 3 times before I can do what I want to do. Previous to this strange behaviour I didn't change the mouse settings, when it all started I have tried different settings (fast/slow) in control panel, but it doesn't make a jot of difference.

My mouse is a basic corded optical one, 1 left and 1 right button with a wheel in the middle.

I haven't installed any new software lately, but I fixed a registry issue with CCleaner, something to do with MSRDO20.dll. If that is the culprit, could you please tell me how I undo that change?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this little obstreperous plastic rodent.

Kind regards,

Morgane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:33 AM

You can try and download the MSRDO20.dll from here...Don't know if it will fix your problem or not but it's worth a try...

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_....DLL/6.00.8862/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Morgane

Morgane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

Thank you for your super-fast reply Douglas Martin!! :thumbsup:

I'll try and download MSRDO20.dll.

Could you please tell me what to do with it once I've downloaded it?

I'm still learning about PCs... :flowers:

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Morgane

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

I beleive that you would want to save it in your Windows/System32 folder. I would click on My Computer...C: drive...Windows...System32 and look for it there before I downloaded the other one. If it isn't there then that may where you want to save it.

Again, I don't know if it will fix your mouse problem or not, but it won't hurt to try.

One caution about using CCleaner...It is a very powerful program and if you aren't extremely careful with it you can do some severe damage to your system. The Experts here do not recommend the use of it at all for that reason.

One other thing you may want to try is to purchase another mouse (a cheapo will do) and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you will know that it is a hardware issue not a software one. I would probably do that first...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Pepecat

Pepecat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:00 PM

My experience has always been when a mouse starts to act strangely, usually it needs cleaning. Often dust or hair (in my case, cat hair) can get caught around the areas inside the mouse that allow your cursor to move to different areas. Try flipping the mouse over, removing the ball, and looking inside for junk that might be around the little roller parts. I would also suggest unplugging your mouse before you do this.

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

If its a USB mouse with a PS2 adapter then try taking the adapter off and run it through USB

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

...but I fixed a registry issue with CCleaner...

I like cc cleaner for clearing out old temp files and such, however I have everything under the Registry list unchecked. That's the safest way to use it if you really feel the need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users