Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand Name (dell)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 diditom

diditom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

Is it possible that a Dell PC will not load without the Monitor it came bundled with, my friend bought her (Dell) Pc for me to use for awhile whilst she is out of town but when i attached it to my Monitor it seems to power up but nothing shows on the screen.
Help me please with this question or is there something else wrong she said her Pc works find at home.

Dee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

You may want to take a look through this article. It may help you with your problem or lead you to an answer by following other links there.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=gen
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

Does anything show on the monitor, like the message that the is no signal? Is the LED amber rather than green?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 diditom

diditom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:13 AM

Nothings shows up at all and the Led is green

#5 diditom

diditom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:45 AM

Thanks a lot douglas for link, but the problem has'nt been solved, now i am wondering if i will have to pay for repairing the Pc something seem wrong here, and dc3 thank you also for your imput, nothing at all comes up on the monitor, andthe led light is green i knw from past experiences that when the light is amber it maybe memory related, however all the lights remain on (you know all the menu function lights for the monitor adjustment, bightness, resizing the works all remain bright green and i believe this should not happen, am i right.

#6 diditom

diditom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

Hey anyone out there in BC world any ideas about my problem any at all will be appreciate Thanks

Edited by diditom, 19 May 2008 - 09:32 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

Well...it seems that you have a contradiction.

A green monitor (rather than amber/orange) indicates that it is receiving a signal.

But that signal is not being passed on visually.

Monitors are interchangeable...that's why none of us ever have to carry our monitors in when paying for someone else to fix problems beyond our ken (at the time).

That would have me exploring the connection and hoping for the something easy :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 diditom

diditom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:22 AM

Ok BC crowd i found the problem it was the onboard Video i put in a video card and (wah lah), it's smling at me but the only problem now is it takes forever to open up so i am gonna see what could be the problem any ideas ANYONE?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

Did you install the disk that came with the card?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 diditom

diditom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

Hi there Garmanma yes i did indeed, what i have noticed to is the system is running an old version of Xp which is Xp sp1 and also the IE is 6.0, when i try to run updates it takes forever to go to the site, when it does the process of uploading to XP SP2 is even longer and then after all that, it says download complete and to reboot, but when i reboot the version has'nt change at all. IDEAS????

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

Here's some tips to help you with SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 diditom

diditom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

oooh i think i am at my wits end this system is just not taking the Xp sp2 at all it starts to load and then Bam it shuts down after about an hour of trying to download, also it has since trying to upgrade to Xp sp2 pick up some virus' i am sure beacuse it has slowed down even more than before i started to do this process, PLESE HELP ME.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users