Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootup Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChibiDeath

ChibiDeath

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:26 PM

First off I'd like to thank any and everyone responding to this threat. I'm honestly backed into a corner here,a nd I've tried to fix things anyway I can without making things worked..

System spec:

2 Gigs of ram (less than a year old, newly purchased. Two 1012 sticks.)
GeForce Ndvida 7300 Series video and audio card.
PEntium D 3.20 GGHZ processor
Moniter: Proview 30 inch moniter with high resolution support (though right now Iss running on 800 by 600 I think.)

Alright so a few months ago I was running my Hp Media center comp on XP, when I ran into a trojan problem. Ultimately it was resolved when I used my Vista disc to reformat the comp and replace the OS. I used the product key code and all that, and things were going swimmingly... I've recently moved into a new house, and the people working on it had to shut down the circuit breaker once or twice without me knowing. ( my comp was home online, as I was out.) I came back to my moniter faded out, just black. I restarted it and tried booting it from the hrddrive with my OS on it. I gets as far as a black screen til my moniter reads "MODE NOT SUPPORTED." with H: 11.7KHZ V:52.7HZ reading at the bottom... when restarted normally, all that shows is is a black creen with th escreen light dim. I thought it might just be the moniterso I tried a different one. It did no good. I lef the comp on for about an hour ater attempting to boot it with the "mode not supported mode." I made sure it wasn't just booted, but the display wasn't working. Not the case because I hit the power button once and it shuts down immediately. ((Opposed to holding it.)) I managed to put the VISTA OS install disc in again and reformat it again thinking it might do something. I ran the Startup repair and the bar goes for about 2-3 hours before nothing happens. I see the background in the system recovery options- Because of the recent wiping of hard-drive I have no backup, I can't restore it to an earlier time... Is there any solution? OR anyway I can check to see what exactly is wrong. If there's anything I have to do via command prompt or even removing hard-ware I'm up fofr it outside of asking me to buy a new video card to test if it's that. My tower is extremely compact, and I can't mov etoo much around for fear of violating the warranty. I also can't seem to hit f10 to get to system restore.

Edited by ChibiDeath, 17 May 2008 - 11:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:18 AM

Depending on how you formatted the drive last time, you may have overwritten the system recovery files. What sort of recovery/system disk are you using? Is it an HP system recovery disk from their factory, one that you made when you first got the computer, or a standard Microsoft Windows Vista disk?

It appears that your video is working because you can see the Vista Startup Repair dialog.

As I recall, F10 is the BIOS access key for HP's (usually it's F11 for system recovery). If you're not able to get into the BIOS there may be an issue with your keyboard or it's connection. Try another keyboard (if your's is a PS2 keyboard with the little round plug, try a USB keyboard) that will help to rule out the keyboard/plug as an issue.

Other than that, I'd have to suggest:
1) Running this free, bootable memory diagnostic (memory is very sensitive to power surges): http://www.memtest86.com/
Follow the directions carefully and let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better). If you start getting errors, you can terminate the tests immediately because that'll indicate a problem with your memory.
2) Download a free, bootable hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive. If you don't know the manufacturer and don't want to open the case - I'd suggest this free, bootable diagnostic from Hitachi: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
Once again, read the instructions carefully and run the Advanced test on your hard drive (takes a couple of hours usually).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ChibiDeath

ChibiDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:37 AM

It's a Dell System Vista install disc, an official one, not really self made.

2. I'll try thos and get right on trying those.

I'm not entirely sure if it's the overwritten bootup file because it was actting up before I did the second reformat.

Thanks, I'll try all those! In the meantime if anyone else has some nowledge to offer (what they deem implausible or not) I'd appreciate it. I'm looking for more things to try before the last resort of actually sending the PC back to the manufactors to get hard-ware replaced, but I fear worst case scenario they'll slip their way out of it somehow.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:50 AM

Installing a Dell disk on an HP computer? That's asking for trouble - and may be against Dell's EULA.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ChibiDeath

ChibiDeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:05 AM

Okay things just got really really strange. By sheer desperation I've decided to leave my desktop on. After literally four hours, it booted up... I shut it down because it froze, did it again and four hours later it was booting <again> Same Ram space. I'm able to move around both files. The anti-viral program detects no viruses. The internet works. Programs are loading fine ( I haven't run any games. too afraid it might freeze the comp and I want to experiment with other things first.) So I managed to get into the bios. ( it was the f1 Key, bah. And I ran a SMART Self check on on eof the hard-drives... Well here's what turned up. http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t139/Bl...ag/HPIM0044.jpg

I figured ( ohw ell hard-drive gone dead) right? Was ready to pick up the phone, fell asleep and bam that's when this whole mess came to light... the comp working.. kinda.

What I wanna know is... If there's a corrupt boot file.. How would I restore it? ( I obviously wanna know what lall this means if anything too!) I tried reinstaling an O.S. no cigar. Processor speed is the same, yada yada... everything is the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users