Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Severe Slowdown Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DieselMachine

DieselMachine

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:57 PM

I take really good care of my system, and right now it is running so slow it is nearly worthless to me.

When it starts up, the fade in to the winxp logo is slower than usual. When the desktop shows, it takes a long time before I can even run anything. Web browsers run slower than hell, and right now, as I type this message, the text trails behind my typing by 10-12 characters. If I bring up the task manager now, it shows firefox using 30% CPU, and task manager itself using 28% (it bounces, but these are averages).

I have run AVG free, spybot, and both came up clean. Hijack this yielded only things that I expected to see. Unnecessary startup items and services are disabled. I have no idea what could be causing this problem. When I load up process manager to view the processes, it appears the same. Firefox (or Opera, depending on which I am using) will be using a big chunk (30-50%) CPU, and process manager will, for some reason, be using up to 30%.

If I am not using a browser, the CPU usage will still be high. It's running arounf 100% all the time, regardless of what programs I use. And if it is running slow for what appears to be no reason (double clicking a folder on the desktop takes forever to open, for example), i can open process manager only to find that PM itself will be listed as using 50% of the CPU. That doesn't make any sense no matter how I look at it.

All visual enhancements are disabled. There is no background. Sounds are disabled. Memtest86, run in pure dos environment, yielded perfect ram. Defragged the drive multiple times. Pagefile is 1 gig, and in 1 piece. MFT is in one piece. Avg fragments is 1.00, I can find absolutely nothing wrong with this system, but it runs so slow I don't know what to do. I have solved theis type of problem for no many people over the years, and right now it makes it that much more frustrating that I cannot figure out what to do.

Can anyone help? I can post logs of any sort if someone can help me diagnose this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

Hi DieselMachine, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

This is pretty obvious, but I will ask it anyway. How large is the hdd, and how much free space do you have?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DieselMachine

DieselMachine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:33 PM

The HD is 55.8 gig, with 37.8 gig free.

Also, the computer is a Dell Latitude D620, and no parts have been changed,
so it probably isn't going to be a hardware issue.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

Have you looked at our Tips and Tricks forum to see what is listed in the Speeding up XP topic?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:44 AM

Just a thought, if you haven't looked here already;

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...Latitude%20D620

Have you also done a disc clean up, removing cookies, temporary internet files, downloaded program files, etc:

Edited by Adamsappleone, 18 May 2008 - 05:35 AM.

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

When you first open Task Manager it will "spike" the CPU usage, but it should then settle down to 1% or less.

I'd imagine several possible problems:
1) an undetected malware infection
2) a failing hard drive
3) Windows corruption
4) damage to other hardware components.

From your description (mainly the slow startup) I'd have to start with a bootable hard drive diagnostic (available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive). The Dell utilities also may have this capability built into them.

IMO it's the slow startup that indicates this is a hardware problem. The boot process of XP relies upon loading information from the hard drive - and if it's failing, Windows has to do many checks to ensure that the data it's getting isn't corrupted. A failing hard drive is the most common reason for this, but I've also seen it caused by bad RAM (you've tested that), a bad TV card, and a fried NIC.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users