Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 repairman

repairman

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:16 PM

I have an emachine etower 500is, which has the 256 mb memory max.. I need to know if I can take another hard drive and use it for memory, like virtual memory.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

Are you getting an error stating you are out of virtual memory? Is your hard drive full already? Lastly what operating system are you using?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 repairman

repairman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:41 PM

No I'm just trying to get some more memory where I don't have to get another motherboard. I'm thinking about upgrading to windows vista and it says that I need 512 mb of memory. I'm also on a fixed income.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

Having more virtual memory wont help. Windows vista will kill that computer. ( Not literaly but it wont run well at all) What is your reason for upgrading your operating system?

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 repairman

repairman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

I figured that microsoft is not going to support xp anymore so why not change.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

They will continue to support XP for awhile you shouldn't need to worry for atleast a year or two. This article says you have untill after 2009 or so. Vista is still new and buggy they won't obsolete XP for awhile. They didn't end support for windows 98 untill 2006 and thats after ME, and 2000 were released.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

The bottom line here is that your need more RAM, virtual memory is a back up to the RAM when it gets drawn thin by demanding applications and this comes from the hdd. Because of the lack of speed of the hdd comparatively, it will slow down at these times. XP doesn't really begin to work right until you add at least 512MB of RAM, most people think that 1GB of RAM is needed. Microsoft is suggesting that you have at least 1GB of RAM to run Vista, but these are the same people that told us that XP would run on 256MB of RAM. The general consensus at the moment is to go with 2GB of RAM for Vista.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 repairman

repairman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

Great I can breath a little easier at least for awhile. Thanks a Lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users