Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Background

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rodney h

rodney h

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hi to all who read
i am Rodney H. a couple days ago i was infected with system defender that hijacked my internet home page. I was directed by "boopme" :thumbsup: :flowers: to use the self help section to remove this problem. I used malwarebytes antimalware and then superAntispyware professional until there were not more spyware. every thing is ok except my background is covered by an all white page. the only time I see the background is for a moment at start up and at shutdown. I also have an error message "cannot find file //C:privacy_danger/ index.htm make sure the path or internet address is correct. Can any help any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

If you are sure that there are no further infections, try the following:

The C:/WINDOWS/privacy_danger/index.htm file was the message on your hijacked desktop...

When you deleted this folder :-

C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger ...Folder

You deleted the index.htm file...

However windows is still trying to load the file, through this key in the registry...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\desktop\components\1]
Source= file:///C:\WINDOWS\privacy_danger\index.htm

FriendlyName= Privacy Protection

You need to remove this, and the easiest way is :-

Go to start > control panel >Change to Classic View> Display properties > Desktop > Customize Desktop... > Web tab

you can select everything you find in there (except for "My current home page") then click the delete button

What you are looking to remove will be called "Security" or "Privacy Protection" or something similar ...If this doesn't work you can remove it from the registry by using regedit at the command prompt...When the window opens just follow the HKEY_CURRENT_USER path listed above...Click on the + buttons until you reach the Freindly Name= Privacy Protection...Right-Click and choose Delete...

Edited by douglas martin, 18 May 2008 - 08:58 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

You apparently are still infected. If you still have the problem take a look hERE

THe same problem solved.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:49 PM

have an error message "cannot find file //C:privacy_danger/ index.htm

Its not unusual to receive such an error after using specialized fix tools.

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns , search for the related entry and then delete it.
Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.
coutesy quietman7

except my background is covered by an all white page

Try this on the display issue.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button.
Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck everything and look for any of the following:
Security Info
Warning Message
Security Desktop
Warning Homepage
Privacy Protection
Desktop Uninstall

If present, select each entry and click the Delete button.
Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked.
Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".

Edited by boopme, 19 May 2008 - 07:50 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users