Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fans Suddenly Stopped

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BadBeat

BadBeat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

So I'm on my computer, everything peachy. I turn it off and come back 5 hours later. Turn it on and when I do, my internal LEDS don't come on, none of my case fans start spinning and, most importantly, the cooling fan on my PSU isn't spinning.

I've not installed any new hardware or overclocked my system, or pretty much done anything that might increase my power consumption.

I've also got a decent surge protection plug, so I can't imagine the PSU has been damaged by some sort of power spike.
Behind you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BungleFeet

BungleFeet

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Apart from the problems with the fans and LEDs, does the computer boot normally?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:26 PM

Is this a custom build or a store bought unit?

Edit: Please list the make and model of the unit if its store bought or list the components if its a custom build.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 17 May 2008 - 07:27 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:12 AM

Custom built.

Asus P5B Socket 775 Core2, Dual DDR2, PCI-E, SATA2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420, Socket 775, 2.13 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Conro
OCZ 2GB(2 x 1GB) KIT PC6400 800MHZ 5-5-5-12 Memory
XFX 8800GTS 320MB, PCI-E Graphics Card
Seagate 500GB ST3500630AS Barracuda 7200.10, SATA300, 7200 rpm
Antec Nine Hundred/Ultimate Gamer Case
Antec TP3-650 True Power Trio 650W Powersupply

No other problems with the computer that I can see. Only thing to have gone wrong since this started happening is my computer locking once. I assume it was due to overheating. Was cooking at about 53oC in the case.

I know theres nothing physically broken with the fans or Leds because about 3 hours after I posted up this thread, they all, very randomly started working again, PSU fan, case fans and Leds. But all stopped working again after about half an hour and no signs of life since. I've had the computer for a few months now and have not installed any new hardware that might increase power consumption.

Intrestingly, my desktop fan stopped working at more or less the same time. Nothing but an occasional twitch out of it, but it was on its way out anyways, so it might just be coincidence.
Behind you...

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:33 AM

It sounds like you have a overheating problem. Is there dust in the heat sink and fan that is mounted on the PCU? If there is get a can of inert air and blow out the fan and the heat sink. Also check the area where the air enters from the front, you may have to remove the plastic front to see this, make sure that this is clean of obstructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:53 AM

Theres next to no dust, especially in the PSU fan. It's only started getting so hot *since* the fans stopped working.
Behind you...

#7 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

PSU problems often are random until they give up completely. Mine 'wobbled' for about two months before giving up and doing some damage on its way out. If in doubt I'd get another one. They are pretty cheap compared to the stuff they can cook.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:21 AM

I would replace that PSU, if the fan isn't working then it could lead to overheating and would die eventually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

That now means that every component I bought from Yoyo tech was faulty. Thought the psu was the only thing that wasn't going to fail on me within 3 months of purchase.

Well, off to the shops I guess. Thanks for the advice guys.
Behind you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users