Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am Completely Lost.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alluneedisme

alluneedisme

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

Ok im running Windows XP SP2 on my laptop , and just recently i have come across a problem that i have never encountered before.

Well let me give a little history before i jump on the subject. I live in the dorms, and i connect usually to the internet through a wire. Everything worked fine no problems what so ever, Up until i was going home for the weekend. On my way home i turned on my laptop and the startup seemed a bit slower then usual, and then my explorer kind of failed on me, so i had to end task it and re run it again. This wasn't really all that bad.. because after doing so it was back to normal (except ) i never tried connecting to the internet) .

I came home and tried connecting to my wireless internet, and when i started up my laptop it took a while to load everything, and although i had excellent connection to the internet , i couldnt go on the internet. I tried using my browser, but then my zone alarm failed, and my internet browser seemed as though i was not getting any signal from the internet. So i tried to run my instant messenger , and that too just made my zone alarm have a system error, and my instant messenger did not connect.

So i thought it was the internet, i ran my laptop in safe mode, and bam my messengers and my Internet browser all worked fine!

im really lost, i dont know what it could be, i tried restoring my computer to an earlier date, but that didn't solve anything.

PLEASE HELP!! I would greatly appreciate any help i can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

please run this scan with MBAM and post a log

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry811062
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

:thumbsup: can we pleae check out some basic points? may we know your antivirus program and your other protection programs?
if you are a dorm multi connection thingi one might be concerned that something has sneeked through the protection?

Edited by ruby1, 17 May 2008 - 02:05 PM.

#4 alluneedisme

alluneedisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

ok yes, maybe, all i run for both anti virus and anti spyware is Zone Alarm. I will post a log of it ASAP. Im going to jump on that right away.

#5 alluneedisme

alluneedisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.12
Database version: 760

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 42378
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\The Weather Channel (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Weather Services (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls\wxfw.dll (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

it looks like zonealarm stopped the major part of that adware and mbam just caught the remmnants?

how's the computer running now?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 alluneedisme

alluneedisme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:45 PM

uhm well the computer still wouldnt go on the internet, and one of my friends suggested that it might be my actual zone alarm program, so i uninstalled it . and Now everything seems to be running smoothly, back to normal again.

Thanks for your time and your help!! i greatly appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users