Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Management Console Data Execution Prevention Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jej1216

jej1216

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

I have XP Pro, DELL Inspiron 6000 laptop that is about 2.5 years old. I scanned my hard drive as routine maintenance, and it found damaged sectors and tried to move data to another sector. Now, when I try to open Microsoft Management Console I get a Data Execution Prevention error.

I also can't open IE7 - it closes down with another Data Execution Prevention error.

I also get the same error trying to print to PDF Creator.

I tried copying files to a USB drive, fearing the worst. The copy fails every noe and then with a write-back error.

Finally, one of my USB drives does not get recognized (but it does on my other PC's and it used to on my problem laptop).

This is the third hard drive I have put into this laptop.

Can something in my laptop (virus, damaged files) be frying my laptop????

I use AVG Anti-virus and also scan regularly with Ad-Aware and Spybot and CCleaner.

Am I doomed to another hard drive blow-up?

TIA,

jej1216

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351

I would try the workarounds suggested...if the updating doesn't solve it.

Louis

#3 jej1216

jej1216
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

Thanks, Louis

I tried that - adding Internet explorer and Management Console. I still get the DEP error when I try to access either one.

I fear I'll have to re-install XP and my programs - hopefully not, but.....................

jej1216

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

You tried the workarounds?

Updating was a potential fix, but the workarounds may provide some help.

...and before I considered a clean install for this, I think I'd try a repair (all data files and program files remain intact).

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

MS, XP Repair Install Procedures - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/EN-US/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2008 - 07:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users