Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Board And Jacks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I am the Walrus

I am the Walrus

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:15 AM

Maybe some can shed light on this. I have a XP SP2 system and the sound would go in and out, depending how hard it was jiggled. The board with the mic/headphone jack and hub ports seems messed up so how do I replace it? On the same note the two ports are not hi-speed so data transferring is very slow. Can I replace them with more efficient one's?. It's funny because the RAM/CPU are sufficiently sized. Point me in the direction. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

<<I have a XP SP2 system and the sound would go in and out, depending how hard it was jiggled.>>

I guess that I'm not getting a vision of the problem...are you saying that you have a loose connection between speakers and sound card/chip?

If so, that can be remedied by using a PCI sound card, provided you have an empty slot for it.

Ditto with USB...onboard function can be easily/cheaply replaced by adding a USB 2.0 card, providing you have an empty slot for same.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 I am the Walrus

I am the Walrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:07 PM

Intel® Pentium® 4CPU 3.00GHz 2.99GHz .98GB RAM

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:12 AM

Na, he meant who made your computer (ie Compaq Gateway HP etc) and the model number of the computer. Or if its custom built manufacturer and model number of your motherboard.

#5 I am the Walrus

I am the Walrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:36 PM

my bad.. it is custom built. I pulled up the device manager thinking to look there and look all smart but that didn't work. Point me in the direction?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:36 AM

SIW is a freeware which will show the make and model of your motherboard, it can be downloaded here.

Have you tried different headphones to make sure that the problem isn't with them?

Those jacks are soldered to the motherboard, replacing those could be complicated. Each one of those jacks has three legs soldered to the motherboard, so you would need a soldering iron, not a gun, a solder sucker to remove the old solder, the specific jack, and solder. It would be simpler to just replace the onboard audio with a PCI card as hamluis suggested earlier.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users