Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD Drives / Back up?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 La Princess

La Princess

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:37 PM

Excuse me if this is not the right place for this...

I am so new to all of this and I just purchased my computer a few months ago.

I have a Dell 2400. I didn't get the floppy disk drive ( was told I could put my info on a CD) I do have 48X MAX CD-RW Drive, Dell Application Back-up CD, Factory installed ( don't know what that is or how to use it :flowers: )

Can I put data onto CDs with what I have? If so, how? If not, what will I need to add to do so?

I don't know if this makes any difference I started with 256 memory and then I later added 512. So memory is no problem yet.
80GB 7200 Ultra ATA Hard Drive

I am so confused :thumbsup:

TYIA,

La Princess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:57 AM

Backing up data is always a good idea. The safest way is to use an application like Nero or EZCD creator; your computer should have come with one of those already installed. There is probably a tutorial or link in your Windows HELP to it.

The recovery CD is just that; only to be used if you get into real problems so you can, as it were, reinstall your OS. In some cases, it may reset your computer to its original state; consequently, you will loose any programs or files installed since you got the computer. Creating backups of any downloaded programs is thus a smart move. It is also useful to have a file that lists essential URLs and passwords associated with them saved to disk.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:16 PM

Also if you have windows xp baking up is easier and then you can put the file right on a cd tihs is how you do it go to start and go to your control panel. then once your in click preformance and maitenence, then click make a back up your data a wizard will apear and you can tell it what you want ot back up. ex..your whole computer or just your documents or just your music etc... Then once it is done burn it to a cd using the programs jgweed mentioned below.

Here is the link for nero

Nero

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users