Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Randomly Lags When Playing Any Game.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alkamar

Alkamar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:55 AM

There are many definitions to keyboard lags so I will specify and be more specific.
When I am playing ANY game on my computer, or things that run the CPU at 100% anything (including the mouse) has a delayed reaction, then once it does press the button it seems to hold it in for a period of time, such as 4 – 5 seconds.

Let me tell you, I have done everything I can. I am running out of ideas. The last thing I can think of is going on every single computer help forum I know and posting this question.
I DID have ATI Tray Tools, A program that is an alternative to ATI’s Catalyst Control Center. I do have both of them running. I also recently (due to reading some threads) uninstalled ATI Tray Tools. Problem still persists. I have reinstalled my Keyboard drivers, mouse drivers, video drivers, and reset ATI Catalyst to factoring settings, I’ve turned off the AGP speed (just to see what would happen) and it still persists.
Now you probably are saying “AGP? How old is this computer?” The specifications of this computer are listed below:

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:
Intel
Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz
2.66 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Video Specs:
ATI Radeon 9600
AGP 8X
256 MB
DDR
Core Clock: 324 MHz

Keyboard:
Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard 1.0A

Mouse:
Logitech UltraX Optical USB Mouse

I can’t give you the exact specs of the motherboard but it is an IBM Think Centre. The BIOS was updated like only 6 - 7 Months ago (Basically when I first installed the system), and the last update was in like 2005 – 2006. Anyway, I am pulling hairs out on this and I really need any suggestion you can throw at me and I will do it. The computer was doing fine for months. And it just started going downhill…

So to sum it up: keyboard and mouse randomly freeze in any game that uses the CPU up to 100%. I need any help I can get.

Thank you.

PS I have attached a Hijack this log to this post. Incase you need it.

Edited by usasma, 17 May 2008 - 06:18 AM.
HJT log removed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:31 AM

I've removed your HiJackThis logfile attachment from this post because this isn't the place to post them. Should you want to post one, please follow the instructions in the pinned topics located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Here's a list of the running processes on your system:

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\CACHEM~1\CachemanXP.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk2008\PD91Agent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
c:\WINDOWS\system32\ZuneBusEnum.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Zune\ZuneLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Lite\daemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Process Explorer\procexp.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\KHAL2\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Source Engine\OSE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

The issues that you're describing are generally related to the excessive consumption of resources. On an older system with only 1 gB of RAM you'll have to close all programs that aren't needed in order to get adequate performance from the game (and your keyboard/mouse).

To check this out, open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and go to the Processes tab. Then put a check in the box by "Show processes from all users" in the lower left corner of the window. You can use the Bleeping Computer StartupList ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ ) to help figure out which are needed and which aren't.

Another option is to add more RAM to the system (2 gB is becoming the "sweet spot" for XP)
Another option is to upgrade your processor to a 3 or 3.2 gHz processor.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Alkamar

Alkamar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

I did a system restore to the time before I upgraded to SP3...

The lag does not appear to happen anymore.

That sucks seeing as an update can cause lag I'm not sure what else I can't update on this computer.

Probablly going to leave it un upgraded for awhile and just see what happens.

I will post again if the problem hasn't gone away.

Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users