Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc Build: Won't Go Into Standby Mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 freeko

freeko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

After building my first PC, everything works great except that the computer will not go into standby mode. More specifically, when I put it in standby through windows XP, the monitor goes into standby, but the computer itself remains powered on. The two cooling fans stay on, as well as the CPU fans. The only difference I notice is that the indicator LED on the case starts blinking.

I just hooked up this AMD machine with the Following hardware:

BIOSTAR TForce TF7025-M2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
LOGISYS Computer Area 51 CS51WBK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply

I have updated the BIOS, and still no luck... Does anyone know how to get this baby to go into standby???

Thanks

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

Definition of: standby mode

A sleep mode in a portable computer that provides an almost immediate resumption of operation when turned back on. In standby mode, the hard disk and display are turned off, and the CPU is throttled down to its lowest-power state. However, memory is kept active, which requires battery power, but at a very slow rate. The system will typically switch to hibernation mode when it senses insufficient battery capacity to continue in standby mode

Standby will still use power, better to select hibernate

I personally don't believe in either one for desktops
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 freeko

freeko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

It was my first build, so more than anything, I just want to learn how to make everything work as it should...thats the frustrating part! The standby or hibernate isn't that important to me, but the fact that I don't know how to fix the problem is! Also, if I ever build one for a friend, they may value the option of having standby....

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:48 PM

If you go to the Control panel and open Power Options you will find options for Standby and Hibernation under the advanced tab. Under the Hibernation tab you can activate it or disable it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 freeko

freeko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

I'm new, but not that new!!! That doesn't work either! Thats whats so strange! Thanks though... I suspect that it may have to do with the motherboard, but after going into the BIOS, I really can't find a setting to change.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

Verify your motherboard chipset drivers are installed.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

Are you sure its not going into Standby mode? I don't know if your case has a bunch of lights and fans, but my case's lights/fans stay on if I put my computer on standby or hibernate. To fix this I went into power options and made it so my computer sleeps instead of hibernates. I don't what the difference is, but now my case fans turn off.

Edited by Sterling14, 16 May 2008 - 10:30 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:25 AM

Standby mode turns off power consuming components like your hdd and switches the computer to a low power state.

Hibernation writes a file that stores what you had on you RAM, this file will be as large as the amount of the RAM that's installed. When you wake your computer back up the file will open, you should have everything that was on the desktop and the applications that you were using before it went into hibernation. This mode isn't suggested for laptops as it will deplete the battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:32 AM

I'm new, but not that new!!! That doesn't work either! Thats whats so strange! Thanks though... I suspect that it may have to do with the motherboard, but after going into the BIOS, I really can't find a setting to change.

ACPI
Also forgot to mention that faulty video drivers can mess with Hibernation
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users