Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games Freezing Constantly; Mouse Cursor Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 veryangrystorks

veryangrystorks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

I think this is a NVIDIA-related problem. If it belongs somewhere else, PLEASE redirect me. I'm running a 2002/2003 Windows XP machine, Service Pack II installed. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (driver version = 6.14.11.7516). I just installed DirectX 10 this morning. System Restore has not been turned on in a LONG time.

Here's the story. I've been playing Age of Mythology and Diablo II for a long time; there've never been any problems running them on my system. The other day, I started AoM, and whenever the title screen would load, something odd would happen. I could move the mouse cursor for a second or two, and then the visuals would freeze for about fifteen seconds; the music would continue playing. Suddenly the music/sound would "grind" or "skip" and then I could move the mouse again. Then it would freeze, starting the cycle all over again. The whole time this is happening, the graphics start to look kind of funny--I'm not sure how to describe them. I tried installing old NVIDIA GeForce drivers over my newer ones (to sort of revert?), and I think that might have made the problem worse, which leads me to the next problem.

After thinking that reinstalling older drivers messed things up, I installed the new ones (I think they're the newest ones?) again. Now, my mouse is acting funny. Once it gets a few pixels from the far left edge of the screen, it disappears. I can "drag" it to the left--off the screen--for a few seconds, and then I have to drag it to the right for an equal amount of time for it to get back on-screen. I took a screen shot trying to illustrate the problem, and it came out like this. The text reads "Mouse cursor disappears in this circled area / This is how my desktop appears when I take a screenshot of it."

Before directing me, please note that I've already been here, tried to follow the directions, but to no avail. Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry for the long post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:41 AM

I would first look to revert back to directx 9.0c. not only is dx10 for vista but your card doesn't even support it. after looking around a little bit the only ones that claim they can uninstall dx10 is Sony online entertainment (EQ,Vangaard, Star wars etc). I would do a more intensive google on reverting, but the only way i know that would work definitely is a clean install of your OS.

As far as the drivers go you need to uninstall old drivers then install the drivers you choose to use, I would go with the ones you originally had that are known good until the issue is resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users