Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Synaptic Pointing Device

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 magic3000

magic3000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

I accidently uninstalled Synaptic Pointing Device from install/uninstall Programs
I did this about 10 minuets ago and am afraid to shutdown my computer...lest my mousepad wont work.
This program came installed on my HP Pavillion Entertainment computer.
Is there any way to find just this program on the system recovery system that is on my comuter?
or maybe some one could tell me where to go to download this program.
Does any one know how it will effect my computer if I shutdown?
I will not shutdown until advised. :huh: Thank you in anticipation of a solution

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

have a look at
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...f4be5e1033.mspx

seems system restore might be useful
and a 'how to' get into it on vista is
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-system-restore-guide/

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:27 PM

It should work OK if you shut it down, but just to be sure - visit the HP support website here: http://www.hp.com/#Support
Enter the exact product number and it'll lead you to a page where you can download the driver for the touchpad.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

Running about two weeks behind on this one - new member here....

Sometimes Windows (Vista or XP in particular) will simply find the drivers involved and re-install them at the next boot. It's possible that you've not actually deleted anything - just told Windows to ignore them.

That may be all that's required here.

However, Windows may just grab a generic driver. That'll work, but may opt you out of certain device specific goodies.

For example, installing a new mouse driver for an external mouse killed my touchpad drivers. It still works fine if turned on, but the "turn off the touchpad when typing" feature is gone.... I've not really bothered to try to fix that one (WTH, it's only been two years and I just retired the notebook, but you get the idea).

Worth a try....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם

#5 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

I just installed a virgin Vista on my Toshiba laptop, which has that exact pointing device. Unless your computer is vastly different from mine, Windows will simply use its generic driver.

What is this Internet you speak of?

#6 magic3000

magic3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:06 AM

thank you for your help.....
It's nice to have somplace to come to get usefull advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users