Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Pci Card For Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 diggyG

diggyG

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

I have an old computer that I inherited (without any documentation) that I want to use as a media server. I got a 750GB SATA2 HD but now need to install a PCI card for it.

The computer is at least 5 years old, and is running windows 2000.

my question is: what do i need to do to make sure the pci card is compatible with both my hardware and windows 2000?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

You need a SATA controller card...I don't know about promising Win 2K compatibility with such, but you can look at the drivers available for the card and determine if it is compatible with Win 2K.

I have to guess that you are planning to use said drive as storage only, since you have an IDE boot drive with Win 2K.

I have a SATA controller card which I like, http://www.nextag.com/Promise-Technology-P...587/prices-html I like it because it allows me the PATA connection on motherboards where there are no IDE connectors.

Some options which are inexpensive, IMO: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...roller&mnf=

If you wonder about the seeming price discrepancies...IMO, part of that is due to a perceived quality disparity between manufacturers. Promise & Highpoint, IMO, make reliable controller cards which have presented me no problems and are well-documented. But...not everyone needs to think that way :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 May 2008 - 10:56 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

You need a SATA controller card...I don't know about promising Win 2K compatibility with such, but you can look at the drivers available for the card and determine if it is compatible with Win 2K.

The PCI controllers shouldn't have any problems with W2k, all of the ones that I've looked at a compatible.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

Note to OP: You must remember that the drive needs a SATA connection to the power supply, just in case you still have the original PS installed. SATA cables are standard on all recent power supplies that have been manufactured.

Thanks to DC3 for comment re compatibility :thumbsup:!

Louis

#5 diggyG

diggyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

Note to OP: You must remember that the drive needs a SATA connection to the power supply, just in case you still have the original PS installed. SATA cables are standard on all recent power supplies that have been manufactured.

Louis

I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:43 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users