Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Wont Start Up At Loading Screen

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 kevin500

kevin500

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:02 AM

Hello i have Windows Home and recently i had mcafee installed but it was causeings problems like msn to freeze sometimes. Well i installed Zone alarm but i kept site advise from mcafee after i rebooted comp i experianced majoy lag and i turned it off and now i cant get it back on >.<.
What happens is.. it comes to the windows home edd page (the black screen) where the little green loading squars would go across but they dont even show up it comes to that page then automaticly restarts itself and it keeps continuasly doing it.
I have tryed every option when you press F8 imidiatly after pc starts and i have no idea how to sort this problem out now.

I am currently useing a old pc and i cant do nothing on it i desperatly need my old pc back :thumbsup: i dont care what it takes even if it means deleteing everything off and startin from scrach, i tryed puting in the windows cd but it dont seem to load (i think it only works after the loading screen) i tryed takeing hd out and puting it into my other comp but they have diffrent adapters :flowers: the comp im on atm has 2 adapters in the hard drive but the one from the broken comp has 3.

Would REALLY appreciate some help thanks.

PS: my computer was custom made at a shop and i havent got a restore cd with it.

Edited by kevin500, 16 May 2008 - 07:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kevin500

kevin500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:59 AM

I have Disabled auto restart and the blue screen come up and it says..

A problem has been detected on windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scren,resrart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any antivirus, disk defrag or back up utilities. Check your hard drive config, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive courption, and then restart your computer

Technical info:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x83B7F830, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:14 AM

Hi Kevin and Welcome to BC,

Before I can give you advice on the re-installation of XP, I need to know if the XP CD that you are using to try and re-install is the XP CD (with a valid license key) that was used to install on the failing machine or is it one that was used to install on your other machine? You mentioned in your first reply that you don't have recovery CD's because this is a custom build. Did you build it yourself of did someone else?
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:16 AM

Can you open in Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kevin500

kevin500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

Hi Kevin and Welcome to BC,

Before I can give you advice on the re-installation of XP, I need to know if the XP CD that you are using to try and re-install is the XP CD (with a valid license key) that was used to install on the failing machine or is it one that was used to install on your other machine? You mentioned in your first reply that you don't have recovery CD's because this is a custom build. Did you build it yourself of did someone else?

i have an offcial copy of windows and a sticker on the side of my pc with a product key on it. And my windows cd wasnt working because it booted the hd first i changed it in bios so that cd started first so i can start cd now but waiting for reply from you guys cause you know more about it then me.

And the comp was brought from a shop i didnt make it got it custom build about 3 years ago i think.

And my pc wont start on any of the options you get from holding f8 i have tryed every option more then once so safe mode dont work either.

Edited by kevin500, 16 May 2008 - 09:25 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

Since you have the disc I would run a repair installation. If you need help with this you can read this tutorial. It's pretty comprehensive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 kevin500

kevin500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:38 AM

Since you have the disc I would run a repair installation. If you need help with this you can read this tutorial. It's pretty comprehensive.

I have heard somethin like programs dont work after doing this. can you tell me what it does exacly.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:43 AM

OK, it looks like you won't have any legality issues with doing a fresh install if that is what you want to do. You may also be able to do a repair of the current installation (it may or may not work). I generally just do a fresh installation though.

You have enabled to load from CD in BIOS so now you should be able to complete your installation or repair using the XP CD. Just load it in the tray and re-boot your computer. You should then see the "Hit any key to Boot from CD". Do this.
Next you will see the set up screen. Follow the prompts from there. You will have to press F8 when prompted to accept "EULA agreement". After a bit you may be prompted that you have a version of XP installed, Do you want to do a repair or fresh installation. Make your choice and go from there. This may take up to an hour or so to complete. When prompted for your key, use the key on the machine. Upon activation, you may be prompted that the key may have been used more than the alloted amount of times. If this happens, just call the 1-800 number provided on the prompt. Explain that you are trying to do a system repair and they will give you a new key to activate your fresh installation (you must be on-line at the time). If you are just doing a "repair installation" you won't be prompted for activation. You will still need the valid key though.

#9 kevin500

kevin500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:51 AM

OK, it looks like you won't have any legality issues with doing a fresh install if that is what you want to do. You may also be able to do a repair of the current installation (it may or may not work). I generally just do a fresh installation though.

You have enabled to load from CD in BIOS so now you should be able to complete your installation or repair using the XP CD. Just load it in the tray and re-boot your computer. You should then see the "Hit any key to Boot from CD". Do this.
Next you will see the set up screen. Follow the prompts from there. You will have to press F8 when prompted to accept "EULA agreement". After a bit you may be prompted that you have a version of XP installed, Do you want to do a repair or fresh installation. Make your choice and go from there. This may take up to an hour or so to complete. When prompted for your key, use the key on the machine. Upon activation, you may be prompted that the key may have been used more than the alloted amount of times. If this happens, just call the 1-800 number provided on the prompt. Explain that you are trying to do a system repair and they will give you a new key to activate your fresh installation (you must be on-line at the time). If you are just doing a "repair installation" you won't be prompted for activation. You will still need the valid key though.

well i tryed repair and a fresh install but it said it cant detect my hard drive.. So that means tha hard drive is broke?

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:59 AM

Do you know what hard drive you have? Make, Model, and size. If you can find that information (it should be on the hard drive itself) you can go to the manufacturers web site and download a utility tool to diagnose hard drive problems. It will tell you if it is good or not. It may also be to your advantage to check and see if all of your cable connections are tight when you look for the model and make information.

#11 kevin500

kevin500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

Do you know what hard drive you have? Make, Model, and size. If you can find that information (it should be on the hard drive itself) you can go to the manufacturers web site and download a utility tool to diagnose hard drive problems. It will tell you if it is good or not. It may also be to your advantage to check and see if all of your cable connections are tight when you look for the model and make information.

Its a Maxtor diamond max plus 9 120 gb SATA / 150 HDD
and how do i test it if i cant fit it into this pc?

#12 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

You will have to download it on the cumputer that you are on now...Burn it to a CD or a Floppy (if you are given that option and have a floppy drive on the bad computer). Once you have the utility on which ever medium you choose, just follow the directions at the download site.

#13 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

It seems that Seagate now supports your hard drive:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

You may also try to look through this:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

Edited by douglas martin, 16 May 2008 - 10:18 AM.

#14 kevin500

kevin500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the help I will have to get myself a folppy or i might just buy a new hard drive next week and try install it all again thanks guys.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

You should be able to download Maxtor's diagnostic and burn it to a CD. You have already altered the boot order to the CD-ROM so you should be able to boot from the diagnostic CD and let it do it's thing. I would do this before buying a new hdd, how old is this hdd, it may still be under warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users