Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interesting Sp3 Conversation!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

I had an opportunity to speak with the tech that services Dell servers of which we have four, he had an interesting tilt on MS updates. He does not do any updated until they are well proven, several have taken down servers at various locations. He thinks that a good front line defense may be just as secure and far less problematic. So now I am wondering which way to go! To SP3 or not to SP3 that is my quandary! Input always appreciated!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

I'd wait for it, unless you think it would solve another problem that you have. If you're stable right now, its not going to kill you to wait until they've got all the bugs fixed with the patch..

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

I'm going to give it some time before downloading
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Thanks that is fast becoming my thought, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

Well...I don't think "if it ain't broke" feelings...apply to security updates, which is what SP3 and any other SP are.

But...I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

I think I'll go with the consensus on this one and wait awhile before getting SP3. Once I start seeing more positive comments from people who have gotten it-instead of the many bad ones about lockups and other problems-will I make the jump to get it. Best to you... :thumbsup:

#7 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

I haven't had any issues with it yet - but then again it's not on a "server", just a workstation with win xp pro.

#8 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

I havent tried this fix but im not to anxious to try it right now
my AMD HP crashed after installing service pack 3
i was lucky that i was able to get in safemode and do a system restore
others i read about are not so fotunate.
On the Ibm It went like a charm and no problems there.
On compaq evo windows xp pro
with d-link wireless adapter connecting to linksy
it doesnt want to connect to internet but this is linksy and updated driver for wireless
but however installing service pack 3 updates the adapter
causing the internet connection to fail

Heres some info on HP AMD...With Service Pack 3

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

That details one of the causes of the non-boot issue some are having regarding SP3,
If you have an HP computer with a part number that ends with a 'z' you have an AMD-based computer. Other manufacturers have also shipped AMD-based computers, but it is unclear whether they have built their images the same way HP did.

The problem is that HP, apparently along other OEMs, deploy the same image to Intel-based computers that they do to AMD-based computers. Because the image for both Intel and AMD is the same all have the intelppm.sys driver installed and running. That driver provides power management on Intel-based computers. On an AMD-based computer, amdk8.sys provides the same functionality. Microsoft points out in a Knowledge Base article that installing both drivers on the same computer is an unsupported configuration, putting the blame on the OEM that deploys the image. The article in question was written when the same problem occurred after installing Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.

There is also a list of before and after fixes for anyone that falls into this category.

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

I installed SP3 on my system the day after it was released...Granted I don't have an AMD based system...The only issue that I had to fix was the one mme stated about the linksys wireless adapter driver...My connection would drop in and out not constantly but at certain times when I would open up a new link or refresh a page. I went to linksys and installed the original driver for my adapter and that seemed to fix that issue...No other problems other than the fact that it took a little longer than I expected to install...I could only imagine the nightmare of trying to install it via a dial-up connection though...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

No other problems other than the fact that it took a little longer than I expected to install...I could only imagine the nightmare of trying to install it via a dial-up connection though...

They might decide to make a CD of it available, like SP2, you never know
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

Amazing Andrew posted this link on another post to download an .iso but again it looks to be a very long download.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

the link to the blog

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

why would anyone want the 500MB iso?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#13 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

Handy for multiple computer installs I guess... That's at least why I downloaded it. Not everyone has a gigabit ethernet at home/work. :thumbsup:

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

I installed it just now. Let windows crash and burn, I'll break out GPartED and turn the drive into an ext3 drive and move my Home folder to it. (look for the silver lining and you'll see it covers the entire cloud of SP3)

Posted Image

#15 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:59 PM

I updated to SP3 on both my home computer and laptop with absolutely no issues. I have Intel processors though. If you have an AMD processor, perhaps you should wait, since they have had compatibility problems with SP3.
Please post back if we found the solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users