Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Lightscribe/dvd Rw

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hello gang! I'm in desperate need here.

I recently took Vista off of a Compaq Presario Desktop Sm5113WM that I was given for Christmas. Set up a dual boot Windows XP SP2 and Ubuntu on it.

I'm dealing with the Windows XP side as I have nothing but problems trying to watch DVDs or burn DVDs in Linux. Usually, XP treats me really well but this time was far from the norm.

When I insert a data DVD in my drive it comes up fine. I can install programs off DVDs. I can read data CDs just fine also. When I pop in a blank DVD-R though it's like nothing is there. I go to open/explore the disc and it says to insert a disk in drive D:. Same thing happens if I pop in a movie DVD. I can put in a music/copywriten CD and it will play just fine.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Checked in my device manager for any complications. There are none. Under DVD/CD-ROM drives is "HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L" which I'm assuming is the driver for the device. I've tried removing and reinstalling that with no success. I've also tried updating the driver, etc.
- I've checked DMA settings
- At the suggestion of some Compaq tech I even deleted a single reg key value from my registry editor. I didn't think something so simple would work but I was desperate by that point so I did and restarted to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas of more I could try?

I'm really wanting to get this system back up to par and am so close now.

Oh and the device is:
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive

Specifications on the entire system can be found at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...509&lang=en

Any input is much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Use a different brand of CD/DVD.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:22 PM

Some things you can try:

• If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Use a different brand of CD/DVD.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.

If I even try to OPEN the movie DVD or blank DVD in My Computer it says "insert disk" yadda yadda.

I checked out the Microsoft page and followed those instructions (I had actually done this regedit before) to no avail.

The brand isn't the issue as it is ANY movie DVD and ANY brand of blank DVDs.

I will try cleaning the laser, but don't think that would be the issue as it is only movie and blank DVDs. All other DVDs work and play fine. Games on DVD-ROMs load, install, and play fine as well as other data DVDs.

Thank you for the advice though. I'm going to keep plugging away at this.

#4 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:54 AM

Alright so I found an update for the Lightscribe driver and once I installed that the device was able to read blank DVDs. Put in a blank DVD-R and it read right away.

I am still unable to watch DVD movies. Possibly a codec issue? But now when I put in the DVD it at least doesn't act like it's not there. If I open/explore the drive with a DVD in, it'll open a new window just with nothing in it... Looking for codecs...

For anyone dealing with this issue in the future, I found the Lightscribe update at:
http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection...dex.aspx?id=810

Edited by seedsofchaos, 16 May 2008 - 06:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users