Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100c Too Hot For Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:53 PM

As the title suggests, my graphics card has been getting up to about 100C and even a couple degrees higher while gaming. I think if my gpu can boil water, it might be a little too hot, but then again I don't notice it slowing down or artifacting. I'm using ATI Tray Tools to monitor my temperature btw.

My graphics card is an ATI X1900GT with stock cooling. I'm not overclocking it, but I have my Intel C2D E4400 Overclocked from 2.0ghz to 2.9ghz. I didn't raise any voltages though, only the FSB, and my ram is not overclocked.

Now is this really bad for it? I've only had the card since November 07, but are these temperatures so high that they are killing it?

I have many case fans and my case is pretty tidy with most of the cables tucked away for good airflow. I also threw in a PCI slot cooler fan thats right next to my graphics card.

Any feedback is really appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I clean my case out often, and I make sure to always get the dust bunnies that build up in my graphics card heatsink.

Edited by Sterling14, 15 May 2008 - 05:39 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

As the title suggests, my graphics card has been getting up to about 100C and even a couple degrees higher while gaming. I think if my gpu can boil water, it might be a little too hot

100 degrees C = 212 degrees F
Boiling point of water is 212 degrees F

That's hot
I would somehow try to verify that the temp. is correct
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for the reply! I had the rivatuner monitor opened, and it was getting the same readings. I hadn't been playing for as long, but the temperature went up to the higher 90's at one point.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:48 AM

In a word...wow. Zalman makes some nice graphic coolers. Maybe underclock it? or drop the settings of your games?

Edited by smurfgod, 16 May 2008 - 01:49 AM.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:35 AM

As garmanma said you should find some way to verify that it really is 100C Drop it in some water and see if it boils :thumbsup:

Hehe nah don't do that.

I used Speed fan and it told me that EVERYTHING was at 102C even on a cold boot. It said it was still at 102C when I set it on my floor vent. Verification is good :flowers:

Stick a thermometer on your Video card and tell us what it reads.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

What kind of thermometer should I use, and where should I stick it in my graphics card? Middle of the card, under the heatsink?

Edited by Sterling14, 16 May 2008 - 09:00 PM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

Preferably use an IR thermometer I was just at Napa autoparts today and they sell them. This is the one I use. I bought it when I raced R/C cars to check the temperature of my Cylinder head on my gas trucks and cars. More accurate than the spit test and less painful than the finger test.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

Ya, that looks like it would work pretty well. Too bad I don't have one and I'm not willing to shell out that kind of money :thumbsup: . I was kind of wondering if maybe a room thermometer or one that you put under your tongue when your sick would work. They probably wouldn't work too well, but I figure its better then nothing. I guess its not really a problem though because I noticed Team Fortress two is really one of the only games it gets that high. While playing Guild Wars for a couple hours, it only got up to 80C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users