Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another e-mail scam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:53 PM

This obvious scam somehow bypassed my Yahoo spam filter and went direct to my regular inbox. Same silly stuff like the ones supposedly from Nigeria, but with a clever twist. But wouldn't you think if they were smart enough to put this together, they would at least use better English and turn on the spell-checker?

Salute,

We are team[THREE IN NUMBER] ofAmerican and British correlation troops writing from Baghdad, Iraq!
We are urgently seeking for your Assistance to secure the below consignments with attached photos!
The goods were captured here in Baghdad, abandoned in one of the treasure house here!
However, the goods consist of Gold Bars, gold coins and Huge amount of fund in the sealed boxes!
At this moment, we are intending to ship these goods outside Iraq for reasons of safekeeping on our behalf but due to law and restriction order, we are unable to transport the goods to Britain. That is the reason why we are soliciting for your interest to assist us in receiving the goods on our behalf!
We are ready to meet to your demand on this basis with our intending 25% of the entire goods either in cash or in value! This affair wil be a risk free there is nothing to fear.
Therefore, we will appreciate your effort to reach us through the above email address with your confirmation of your interest to our proposal.
As soon as we receive your positive reply, we shall furnish you with further details.

Please note, this issue must be handled with utmost confidentiality as to avoid publicity!

Yours truly.

jeff  G.Smith

Team Leader.

Here's my reply (with utmost confidentiality as to avoid publicity!):

:trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :) :thumbsup: :flowers:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

I haven't seen this one yet... However I do have my "spam" delivered to my "spam folder." Since I use Gmail.

#3 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

If you want you can report it to the IFCC (a joint Internet operation by the FBI and US homeland Security). I have used it many times and it helps to stop that e-mail from going around after people send a few complaints about the same e-mail.

IFCC Website (go to file a compliant.)

Edited by frankie12, 11 May 2005 - 07:36 PM.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

Some interesting info. available at these links. :thumbsup:

While  hoaxes do not automatically infect systems like a virus or Trojan, they are still time consuming and costly to remove from all the systems where they exist. At CIAC, we find that we spend much more time de-bunking hoaxes than handling real virus and Trojan incidents. These pages describe some of the warnings, offers, and pleas for help that are filling our mailboxes, clogging our mailservers, and that generally do not have any basis in fact.

HoaxBusters

CIAC has been providing the U.S. Department of Energy with incident response, reporting, and tracking, along with other computer security support since 1989.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users