Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Keeps Resetting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yazour

yazour

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hello,

My boss brought his home computer into the office for me to see if I can fix it. I've spent the last 3 days working on it and have come to the realization that I have no idea what's going on. At first I wasn't able to open Task Manager but found a registery setting that was changed, so I changed it back to allow me to get into Task Manager.

His explorer.exe keeps resetting about every 20-30 seconds it'll load then reset and the go through the cycle again. In Windows Task Manager I end the process, and then I'm able to open browsers to search for different things I can try.

I've done a Virus Scan with AVG free, I've done an online virus/malware scan at Panda, I've run VonduFix, and today I ran ComboFix. I've also tried going through the repair of his Windows Home Edition OS.

Each scan found different problems that I allowed the program to fix.

Each time I reboot the computer I'm hopeful that it'll work, and then explorer.exe restarts.....

Edited by yazour, 15 May 2008 - 12:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hmmm...I would suggest posting at BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

...or just wiping the hard drive and starting anew. 3 days worth of malware problems is too much for me :thumbsup:.

And the thing about malware issues today...you can never be sure that cleaning the system is going to result in a useable, reliable system, IMO.

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

In the Task Manager, when Explorer.exe restarts, is there any other process that seems to restart at the same time? If you can't find anything try using Process Explorer instead of the Task Manager.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users