Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Avg 8 & General Security Protection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gracecarriveau

gracecarriveau

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

Okay, this is going to sound dumb, but I've only been sleeping an average of 2 to 3 hours a night for a few weeks now, so my brain is fried. I've been trying to learn about all of the threats out there so I don't make the same mistakes with my new laptop that I have in the past.

I can't afford a good anti-virus program right now, so I downloaded the Avg software. Now after reading this thread, I'm wondering if I got it from the correct website. I honestly cannot remember where I got it from. Is there a way to tell? And also, is there another program I should use in addition to the AVG that would protect me even further?

Please feel free to make fun of me if I'm asking a 'simple' question, I laugh at myself all the time! :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146179/avg-8o-antivirus-program/ ~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 15 May 2008 - 11:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:02 AM

Hello! :thumbsup:

AVG is fantastic anti virus protection. But theres a few more things I recommend
A software firewall can protect you from nasty things having inbound and access to the internet from your pc. I recommend Comodo personal firewall it is quiet easy to configure if you make time to do it.
I also suggest some anti spyware programs. Super Anti Spyware FREE has excellent detection and removal and is highly recommended. Spybot S&D also has excellent detection and removal.

These aren't what you want?
Check out the Freeware Replacements for Commercial Apps topic. You will definitely find what your looking for. :flowers:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

Please feel free to make fun of me if I'm asking a 'simple' question, I laugh at myself all the time! :thumbsup:

dont worry, we are all here to learn from each other and help each other, thats why forums are made for :flowers:

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

HI; before programs are suggested it might help to know which IS your OS and what protection package came with it? if it IS a new machine I guess Norton is on it? if so and you now have AVG ( which version )on it (?) did you use the Norton removal tool ON the norton product?

if NOT me finks you is in for a few problems ( or maybe more than a few\)

#5 gracecarriveau

gracecarriveau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:51 AM

HI; before programs are suggested it might help to know which IS your OS and what protection package came with it? if it IS a new machine I guess Norton is on it? if so and you now have AVG ( which version )on it (?) did you use the Norton removal tool ON the norton product?

if NOT me finks you is in for a few problems ( or maybe more than a few\)

I have vista 64 and it did come with norton, but I downloaded the uninstall tool and took it out as I was having compatibility issues with it. I've never really liked Norton anyway. I went ahead and got spyblaster to go with the avg and comodo firewall. However, between yesterday and now, I've run into some issues that I'm concerned about. I posted about the problem in the virus threads. I also removed the firewall because it was causing my internet to run super slow. There's not really anything on this computer yet, and I have an a/b/g/n wireless card with excellent strength, so there is no reason for the slow internet. Once I removed the firewall it went back to normal.

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints! :thumbsup:

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

You should have downloaded AVG from either Grisoft's site or Download. com.
Once set up and "trained," firewalls should not slow down your internet connexion speed noticeably. You may have not given Comodo the "right" permissions.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

I have put a comment on your other thread

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/147280/trojan-virtumonde-hijacker-keep-showing-up-in-avg-scan/

one assumes you took avg8.0 from

http://free.grisoft.com/
free version is
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-an...us-free-edition

and download.com
http://www.download.com/Antivirus-Firewall-Spyware/?tag=dir

I think if you run the scan on the other thread you should come up 'clean' ( we hope) :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users