Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Virtual Memory Is Low

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fire_poi

fire_poi

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

Keep getting a message on the computer saying that the virtual memory is to low - how can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

You can make adjustments to virtual memory, but first you need to know how much RAM you have installed on your computer. If you already know how much you have minumum recommended amount would be 1.5 times RAM. The maximum amount would be 3 times RAM.

For instructions on how to adjust:

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/system-mana...virtual-mem.htm
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:45 AM

Your RAM has not the sufficient size to handle what you are working at. So the system uses virtual memory to increase the RAM but the computer gets slow at the time of using virtual memory as RAM. So the basic suggestion is upgrade your RAM.

But coming to your question, to increase virtual memory:

Go to start > right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > In the Performance section press Settings > Advanced > press Change > Check Custom Size increase the size then press set and click OK.

Edit: just saw the reply after posting, it actually was not needed any more.

Edited by farbar, 15 May 2008 - 10:46 AM.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

I fully agree with farber...RAM is really cheap and the best way to go if possible, as long as your system will support the addition of more modules or larger ones...

To find out about your system:

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

This tool will tell you about your system. Just download the version with the installer and follow the directions. It will tell you how much RAM is installed and let you know if you are able to install more via empty slots and so on...

Edited by douglas martin, 15 May 2008 - 11:02 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 fire_poi

fire_poi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:30 PM

I increased my virtual ram from 672 to 772. I have on the computer currently 223mb of physical memory and am just using the computer for word processing primarily. As far as I understand this should be sufficient? Is it a case of a program using up all that RAM?

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

I increased my virtual ram from 672 to 772. I have on the computer currently 223mb of physical memory and am just using the computer for word processing primarily. As far as I understand this should be sufficient? Is it a case of a program using up all that RAM?

This should be sufficient for word processing. Then you may check the taskmanager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to see what program or process is having a hight RAM usage.

Edited by farbar, 15 May 2008 - 02:56 PM.

#7 fire_poi

fire_poi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

system Idle process is the only thing that seemed to be using anything.

I have installed windowscare V2 personal and have set the memory cleaner to work when the system is idle so am hoping that this will help the computer

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,719 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:09 PM

If you mean the System Idle Process is showing a high CPU that is just a good sign and nothing to worry about. The higher the percentage of system idle the better. The percentage means the free CPU usage.

When you get that notification about virtual memory open up the task manager and check under Mem Usage what application or process showing a hight memory usage. If the total amount of your Mem Usage is smaller than your RAM you don't need virtual memory to compensate for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users