Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Find Out If I Have A Wireless Network Card

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

I've searched the internet, looked all over HP site, read all the documentation that came with the computer, and still don't know if I have a wireless card or not. Is there a way for me to find out?

Belarc:
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Everest: Network Adapter Description
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport

Network Adapter: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport

Interface Type: Ethernet

Am I even looking at the correct things on Belarc and Everest?
Would they tell me it was wireless if the card is wireless? Does Ethernet for interface type mean it isn't a wireless?

I will need a wireless, shopping for a new system, and this one will be
moving to a new home in another room.

Compaq Presario SR2010NX is the computer model.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 May 2008 - 09:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

Hi Evie:

There are a couple of ways that should tell you if there is a wireless NIC (WLAN card) present on your computer.

::Visual Inspection::
Look at the back of PC, where you can install additional PCI cards on the motherboard. There should be multiple slots about 0.75" x 2.5". There are probably blank slots for expansion cards. They will look similar to the PCI card which contains your Ethernet port. A wireless NIC will have a dongle on it that you can screw an antenna on - the antenna should be present, but may have been removed. If you don't see this type of PCI card present, you probably don't have a WLAN card.

::CLI method::
Another way to check is to run the ipconfig command and see if a Wireless Network Connection item appears in the command ouptut:

click Start >> Run >> type cmd.exe >> press [Enter] >> type ipconfig /all >> press [Enter]

What you are looking for is the output to indicate some to the effect of:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection

If you don't see something to that effect in the command output, probably safe to say that (a) you don't have a wireless NIC (WLAN card) present OR (:thumbsup: its present but there no drivers installed for it. Refer to the next method to determine if you have hardware for which there are no drivers.

::Computer Management GUI method::
Another way to check is look in the Device Manager of the Computer Management console:

click Start >> right-click My Computer >> select Manage

This brings up the Computer Management Console, then in the left hand pane you want to select the Device Manager. In the right-hand pane, which is the hardware tree, you want to look under the Network Adapters node. Click the "+" sign to expand it. This will list all network connection adapters which you have hardware for.

If you don't see a WiFi adapter, WLAN card, 802.11a/b/g adapter, etc. its probably safe to say that your machine doesn't have the hardware. To be absolutely sure, right-click the Computer icon at the top of the hardware tree and select Scan for hardware changes. It will refresh all the hardware devices in the tree. Double check the Network Adapters node.

If you see that there are "Unknown Devices" present. It may be that you have a WLAN card for which there are no installed drivers. "Unknown Devices" show up with a Yellow circle containing a "?" and usually are labelled "PCI Device".

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 15 May 2008 - 02:28 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

Cyb3r_Ninj@, Thank you for your response.
It's official, it isn't wireless.
Which means when I get another computer, a wireless card will also be purchased for this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users